Process For Argentines Obtaining A U.s. B1 Visa Changed?

Frinkiac7

Registered
Some friends of ours want to visit the states on a tourist visa

My familiarity with the program stems from trying to get my then-girlfriend (now wife) a B1 visa to come spend Christmas with us several years ago. I remember it was an extremely complicated, multi-step process that involved several rounds of forms, scheduling an interview appointment 30-45 days in advance, two payments including one where you had to go get a receipt of payment from some godforsaken Banco de la nacion or banco de la ciudad to show at the interview, and the trip to Buenos Aires for the interview itself.

Looking at it briefly now online, it looks like the process has been changed, but I can't tell if it is any more simplified, less burdensome, or any "easier" to get a visa. My experience a few years ago was that your chance of getting a tourist visa basically depends on the random luck of the interviewer you get and their mood that day...if they had a bad lunch and an upset stomach, there was no way you were getting your visa that particular day. My sense is that nothing substantive has changed, but it seems like the hoops to jump through are slightly different. Is anyone familiar with the current process that can shed some light on it? Thanks...

Some friends of ours want to visit the states on a tourist visa

My familiarity with the program stems from trying to get my then-girlfriend (now wife) a B1 visa to come spend Christmas with us several years ago. I remember it was an extremely complicated, multi-step process that involved several rounds of forms, scheduling an interview appointment 30-45 days in advance, two payments including one where you had to go get a receipt of payment from some godforsaken Banco de la nacion or banco de la ciudad to show at the interview, and the trip to Buenos Aires for the interview itself.

Looking at it briefly now online, it looks like the process has been changed, but I can't tell if it is any more simplified, less burdensome, or any "easier" to get a visa. My experience a few years ago was that your chance of getting a tourist visa basically depends on the random luck of the interviewer you get and their mood that day...if they had a bad lunch and an upset stomach, there was no way you were getting your visa that particular day. My sense is that nothing substantive has changed, but it seems like the hoops to jump through are slightly different. Is anyone familiar with the current process that can shed some light on it? Thanks...

We have several friends who have done this, and their experience has been that if you're called for an interview, it's routine, unless you screw up big time - like saying you plan to go to work with Mexican landscapers.

We have several friends who have done this, and their experience has been that if you're called for an interview, it's routine, unless you screw up big time - like saying you plan to go to work with Mexican landscapers.

That's heartening. Do they still require you to bring documentary evidence of your entire life history for some foreign service passport-stamper who can't even speak Spanish very well to mull over? They used to tell you to bring your salary statements, deed to your house, proof you had your entire family back in Argentina, etc., etc.

Does anyone know if the wait-time for appointments has gone down at all? Someone told me they are now down to like a seven-day wait from the time you call to make an appointment, whereas a couple years ago I recall it being 30-45 days.

That's heartening. Do they still require you to bring documentary evidence of your entire life history for some foreign service passport-stamper who can't even speak Spanish very well to mull over? They used to tell you to bring your salary statements, deed to your house, proof you had your entire family back in Argentina, etc., etc.

Does anyone know if the wait-time for appointments has gone down at all? Someone told me they are now down to like a seven-day wait from the time you call to make an appointment, whereas a couple years ago I recall it being 30-45 days.

As a US citizen, I've never done this myself, but I understand you do need to provide your supporting documentation, but I think you do so in advance. As far as scheduling goes, I have no idea, but I was able to arrange an appointment for notarizing something fairly quickly.

You should have the supporting documentation but it is all about your replies and attitude with the immigration agent.

They try to figure it out if you have roots in Argentina. If you give the proper answers is an in and out. He didn t ask me for any documentation.

The 2 people before me were rejected, they tried to explain too much.

I used a paralegal who adviced me.

Regards

Now it's a two-step process, with the first step being a trip to an office--the address is Av. Santa Fe 4569, I beleive. There, they will take your picture and fingerprints
Then, you can go to the embassy and finish the interview.
I went once in 2010 and again in 2013, and it seemed to me that they were much more lenient the second time--most people were approved. Our experience was that a few years ago, it didn't depend so much on the mood of the interviewer, so much as a very strict set of criteria they were given, and that currently they are not so demanding--maybe the US Government realized how much $ Argentines spend when they go on vacation to the USA?
Then, my sister-in-law--who is unemployed--went about a week ago to get a transit visa (not a tourist visa, as she just needs to pass through on her way to Mexico). She said that it was super relaxed and that they approved the visa without asking her for any papers or documentation.
So, to me it also SEEMS that they have streamlined and relaxed the process quite a bit since a few years ago.

Now it's a two-step process, with the first step being a trip to an office--the address is Av. Santa Fe 4569, I beleive. There, they will take your picture and fingerprints
Then, you can go to the embassy and finish the interview.
I went once in 2010 and again in 2013, and it seemed to me that they were much more lenient the second time--most people were approved. Our experience was that a few years ago, it didn't depend so much on the mood of the interviewer, so much as a very strict set of criteria they were given, and that currently they are not so demanding--maybe the US Government realized how much $ Argentines spend when they go on vacation to the USA?
Then, my sister-in-law--who is unemployed--went about a week ago to get a transit visa (not a tourist visa, as she just needs to pass through on her way to Mexico). She said that it was super relaxed and that they approved the visa without asking her for any papers or documentation.
So, to me it also SEEMS that they have streamlined and relaxed the process quite a bit since a few years ago.

I'd like to see Argentina return to the Visa Waiver Program and eliminate the retaliation fee, but I'm not holding my breath until that happens.

It sounds like the entire process has been substantially re-vamped.
Does anyone have a data point on how long it takes from applying online to actually going in for the interview? Some doctor my wife saw a few weeks ago claimed it only takes 7 days now, whereas before it took 30-45. I can't actually get into the system to book a "dummy appointment" without creating an account and entering someone's personal info.

It sounds like the entire process has been substantially re-vamped.
Does anyone have a data point on how long it takes from applying online to actually going in for the interview? Some doctor my wife saw a few weeks ago claimed it only takes 7 days now, whereas before it took 30-45. I can't actually get into the system to book a "dummy appointment" without creating an account and entering someone's personal info.

Yup, only a week or so. Maybe two if there is a lot of demand.

I've booked for a relative on a Monday to get the fingerprints/photo on Wednesday and the interview on Thursday.

In general bajocero is correct, supporting documentation is always a good idea but the point is that you have to convince the officer of your ties to Argentina and that you'll be coming back here. Documentation can help but your answers and demeanor are at least as important if not far more so.

Back