Products With Formaldehyde

I think we really need to expose the products/copanies that are selling products with FDA forbidden substances like formaldehyde, asbestos, etc.
If we can make a list I will post them on a small blogsite just for this pourpose. Everybody should be informed about this.V

If you're concerned about toothpastes, you can always use baking soda. It's kind of ick, but it actually is really much gentler on gums etc -- also if you're like me and get canker sores any time you get ill, the baking soda heals them so quickly.
Sodium laurel sulfite also in toothpastes I believe.
I don't know if it's that I've spent the better part of my year working on an organic & natural product review site so I'm more aware, or if I just keep encountering people that are totally unaware of nutrition etc, but it seems that Argentina is lagging on the awareness of nutrition / interest in natural and organic foods. I'm a bit concerned about what they teach regarding nutrition in the classes here.
There are some good organic food providers here, but for most other stuff I think you'd have to order online. The site we are working on is an organic & natural product reviews site for some clients in Florida -- www.purezing.com -- it's still got a long way to go, it's not got a tonne of products on there yet and we've got a lot of development / design work to do, but it's a really smart idea and one that I think shows some promise. The site lists food, body products, products for cleaning & your home in general and then has an articles / recipes / books etc section. I think it will take some time for it to really take off, but it's a project that's been really interesting to be involved with. The only thing is I really don't know how many of the companies they work with would actually ship to here -- nor how many of the products would get through customs too easily!
For any of you that want creams / lotions / shampoos etc that aren't laden with chemicals & perfumes you don't need, I buy my stuff off of www.cosmeticscop.com -- she's got reviews of all the major product lines and also produces her own line -- I switched to using her stuff a few years ago, it's really good quality for better prices than most of the products you can buy here. So far I haven't tried having it shipped to Argentina, I've just stocked up when at home, or had a friend bring some stuff down. I've heard from some friends that cosmetics get held up in customs, so don't know if I'd order it to here -- perhaps if they sent Fedex it would get through ok?

It would be more useful imho to name local brands and products that do and do not contain these substances. Whatever is sold in the US is not sold here, where most of us live.

I just put up a blog with a list of the products named so far, if you find more, just post them here and I will add themhttp://toxicsubstances.blogspot.com/ V

Just because we moved here where the street level air pollution is incredible, noise beyond any safe or comfortable range, and the drinking water comes from an industrial dumping ground of a river, doesnt mean that we have stopped wanting to live healthy.
Ive brought up the issue of formaldehyde in many products here before. i dont think that has changed, this cancer causing chemical is still in them.
However, what ive noticed since that posting is that many labels now just say "conservante" or "preservante". I just used the CIF cream to clean the bathroom, the bathroom really smells of the stuff. is it formaldehyde? Several liquid dish soaps dont reveal what the preservative is. Once i tried to write CIF and get them to tell me if it was formaldehyde. long story, i got the run around.
Lets not fall into the usual trap--argentine trap--of passing the blame. i dont think the issue is that these are international companies, evil foreigners. no, i think the issue is, WE, residents, citizens, and long term tourists, dont know whether we are breathing formaldehyde or not. Internet research showed me that it was the most risky if it is breathed.
well, does my furniture polish have it. my countertop cleaner? the other sprays i have in the house? most of them wont say and clearly (this is where argentina comes in) they get away with it. the govt. allows this loophole. they allow tiny almost impossible to read letter size on the labels and they allow the companies to continue using this super cheap yet risky preservative and not have to reveal it.
Perhaps we cant worry about every little thing, yet, when i look at all the labels in the house that wont list clearly if it has formaldehyde or not, i realize im taking a leap of faith living here, just as i do each time i use the water supply, heavy metals and all.
thoughts? comments? pull a few cans, and cleaners off the shelf and tell me if you dont see the same, lack of clarity.

After reading this post, there are brands I don´t buy anymore, however I have a hard time reading the labels as some are super tiny! I think we could build a list together and send a letter to Defensa del Consumidor, Inti, Bromatologia, Ministerio de Salud, Newspapers, Media in general, and try to get the authorities to do something about it.

Why are you using all those chemical cleaners in your home? I don't live in Argentina yet, but I always read labels & use natural alternatives whenever possible & cleaning the house is an easy one. Vinegar, baking soda, lemon, bleach, oils, essential oils are really all you need. Look online for recipes and natural cleaning solutions.As for beef fat, beef fat is a natural ingredient.... It's perhaps not the best thing to be eating but it's natural. Butter is also fat that comes from bovines. If you are going to eat things with fat in them, look for natural fat & not partially hydrogenated stuff. That's one you should avoid like the plague.

Back