Property registry

Monserrat

Registered
Three years ago I sat, jet-lagged and surrounded by suits, in a bank conference room somewhere on Alem. The escribano was the builder's escribano, -this being a legal requirement when purchasing a newly-built condo I was told.

He proceeded to read aloud the escritura in a manner that made me think he was going to charge me by the hour. Afterwards, I signed on the dotted line, pushed a bag full of $100 bills across the table and got a set of keys in return.

I picked up my copy of the escritura from the escribano a few months after.

I have since seen my name on the monthly sheet of 'expensas' being slid underneath my door once a month. Once a year, I get to pay my 'Rentas Ciudad' for 'alumbrado barrido y limpieza'. All documents arrive with my name on them.

Now; I should be happy if it weren't for the fact that I was born completely and utterly paranoid. Recent stories of increasing incidents of real estate fraud in other parts of the world are fanning the flames.

How do I know if the escribano did his job properly? How do I know if I am listed correctly, as the sole owner, in the city's property registry? Has someone tried to put a lien on my condo? etc., etc.

Where does one go to get an official transcript of the property registry?

Thanks, -and keep looking over your shoulders.

Monty

Hi,my name is henry nisental and a i am a local civil engineer and also a have us citizenship (but born here).
There is a city goverment office in venezuela street between 9 de julio and salta st. I think that keeps all these records. It cost 10 u$s or so to get a record. If you can not do it i could help you for free, i can do it because i am a civil engineer. Call me at 4687-1604
good luck henry

The city gvmt. office HenryNisental mentioned is the Registro de la Propiedad Inmueble http://www.dnrpi.jus.gov.ar/. The address is Venezuela 1135 and you have to request the "Informe numero 1". If you have doubts you can check their FAQ or just ask here. I can also help you get it.

Thank you both for your replies.

Your information is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Monty

Back