Property tax in Argentina?

This topic surfaces every year or so on the forum and each time it does different information is presented. I've done my own research and have concluded the law regarding property tax is vague. I found a 2.5% annual tax on property owners who one a residence in Capital Federal AND an estate in the country (and there was even a mention of having to own a car).. If you have a propoperty in the city, regardless of its value and do not own a country estate the only tax you pay is ABL. I am not saying the info presented before me is incorrect, I am just stating the results of my research. Good luck!

I just found i've been charged 1000 pesos in interest on my ten month late payment of Bienes Personales. I really wanted to pay this in cuotas but accountant said it will be a problem as he is responsible for paying it for me in his name.
Anyone else (foreign property owners here with no DNI) had experience paying bienes personales and managed to pay in cuotas? It's a bit of a hefty sum to pay in one go so i hope there's a way round it.

Fettucini said:
I just found i've been charged 1000 pesos in interest on my ten month late payment of Bienes Personales. I really wanted to pay this in cuotas but accountant said it will be a problem as he is responsible for paying it for me in his name.
Anyone else (foreign property owners here with no DNI) had experience paying bienes personales and managed to pay in cuotas? It's a bit of a hefty sum to pay in one go so i hope there's a way round it.

AFIP is the toughest and least "compromising" government agency in Argentina. You are asking to pay in cuotas in a country where the interest rate on short term loans is about 40% from banks and as much as 60% from the sharks. If your accountant was willing to pay the tax for you and let you pay him in cuotas, would you be willing to pay him 30% interest (which would only be fair)?

kre8ivelyXposed said:
Getting a lower tax rate or no tax at all is one of the main advantages to receiving your DNI if you indeed qualify for a DNI. Having the DNI qualifies you for the basic exemption for properties under 300,000 pesos.

The $305,000 "tax exemption" applies to the total value of all assets in Argentina, including autos (only with the DNI). Any foreigner with residency who owns a property that exceeds $305,000 on the escritura will owe the tax at the .75% rate (perhaps from zero). If a foreigner also has an auto registered in Argentina, it must be included when calculating the total value of their assets.

If you don't have residency (even temporary), the tax rate is 1.25% from zero.

Yeah well they let Argentine residents pay in 3 quotas. Annoying that as a foreigner the accountant is held responsible for the paying of your taxes.

Hey where is this level playing field... Since Argentina is charging $131 dollars at the airport for "resiprocity" to keep things "fair" on fees......
How about these taxes... one charge for DNI holders and double for those without a DNI..mmmm.. where is the level playing field now ????

In the United States we dont charge a person his property taxes on where he is born?? Seems strange to me..mmmmmmmmm

Fettucini said:
Yeah well they let Argentine residents pay in 3 quotas. Annoying that as a foreigner the accountant is held responsible for the paying of your taxes.

Residents may be able to pay the tax in 3 quotas, but those payments must be made on time or they are subject to late fees as well. It may be true that many Argentine's don't pay the tax and enforcement appears to be minimal, but there is obviously a double standard (law) when it comes to foreigners.

I only had to pay the tax for 2006, but I didn't know about it and also paid late with about a $1000 peso penalty...three years later. My accountant filed the info with AFIP and gave me a factura that included a bar code that he printed from the AFIP website. I took it to a bank and paid the total. I did not simply hand over cash to the accountant for him to pay the tax.

Well I appear to be ok with my place being well under the $300k here but what about the world wide assets.I still don't know the score about that and everyone I have spoken to hasn't got a clue either......

blackburn said:
Well I appear to be ok with my place being well under the $300k here but what about the world wide assets.I still don't know the score about that and everyone I have spoken to hasn't got a clue either......

Why don't you take yoour own advice?

blackburn said:
\..ask stevey..he has all the ansewrs...

I do have the answer.

Send me a PM if you're ever sober.

Does it matter if you didn't have a DNI when you bought the property but do now? Also if you haven't paid the Bienes personales at all would you be liable for the first years (when you didn't have DNI) at the foreigner rate and then the subsequent years (when you did have the DNI) at the locals rate? Very confusing.
Also does anyone have any idea how it works about transferring assets between spouses or indeed to children in Argentina? Is it beneficial to transfer assets to an Argentine child? Thanks.

Back