Pros and Cons of Living in Buenos Aires vs Other International Cities

Quinn

Registered
I'm putting something together and thought you'd all be great sources for interesting takes.

To keep it simple, I looking to create a list of "pros" and "cons" of living in BsAs versus living in another city somewhere in the world.

Now, it's important to note that the comparisons and contrasts don't need to be entirely serious. They can be, but can also be satirical, funny...just about anything.

A few examples:

* In Buenos Aires, the sidewalks all seem to made out of graham crackers and paper machete, while in US cities, the sidewalks are all made of that stable and boring material, concrete.

* Due to these same BsAs sidewalks and the legal system, if you fall, good luck suing for millions like you could in the US (pro BsAs!).

* In US cities like San Francisco, it is routine to get harassed everyday by homeless begging for money, something more rare in BsAs.

* When riding the subways in US cities like San Francisco and NY, you will almost never have to deal with "vendors" placing items for sale on your lap that you would never be interested in buying, which is the case in BsAs.

So let me see what you got!

I must look like Bill Gates. I get hit up for a handout on a daily basis.

Quinn said:
I'm putting something together and thought you'd all be great sources for interesting takes.

To keep it simple, I looking to create a list of "pros" and "cons" of living in BsAs versus living in another city somewhere in the world.

Now, it's important to note that the comparisons and contrasts don't need to be entirely serious. They can be, but can also be satirical, funny...just about anything.

A few examples:

* In Buenos Aires, the sidewalks all seem to made out of graham crackers and paper machete, while in US cities, the sidewalks are all made of that stable and boring material, concrete.

* Due to these same BsAs sidewalks and the legal system, if you fall, good luck suing for millions like you could in the US (pro BsAs!).

* In US cities like San Francisco, it is routine to get harassed everyday by homeless begging for money, something more rare in BsAs.

* When riding the subways in US cities like San Francisco and NY, you will almost never have to deal with "vendors" placing items for sale on your lap that you would never be interested in buying, which is the case in BsAs.

So let me see what you got!

In Buenos Aires, the sidewalks all seem to made out of graham crackers held together with mortar made of dried dog poop.

Quinn said:

I don't know about SF, but in NYC there are "vendors". They don't put things in your lap, because they are not as trusting. There are the kids selling m&m's for their "basketball teams" and the people with that homeless magazine and that mariachi band that practically lives on the L. I prefer the quite sales tactics of BA.

Pace of life is easier and there's more emphasis on spending time with family and friends, and less in an office. I earned more money back in the UK, but I worked twice as hard for it. All things considered, I prefer the work/life balance here.

The city is dirty, polluted, noisy, chaotic and urgently needs a shower and a shave. Strange thing about this is, the longer you live here, the more "sterile" other cities start to look.

People putting things on my lap doesn't really bother me. Neither do the performances you get everytime take a subte. The cold, uncaring indifference human beings have towards each other in other places is a bigger problem. I've never once seen someone sing, or do a little routine in a subte or train carriage without getting a round of applause and some spare change at the end. Cocooning yourself away from the rest of the world might be more comfortable, but I don't think it does individuals or society any good. I'd rather know poverty was there than try and ignore it.

If you earn pesos, leaving the country is punishingly expensive. Thats my main gripe about living here these days. Its not the distance, or the time it would take to get home - I'd gladly sit a day on a plane. Its the fact that I can't afford to, and saving up enough pesos to fly the three of us home is a major expense. So is spending any amount of time in another country, spending pesos. As much as people moan and complain about how expensive life here is, its a damn sight more expensive when you're paying pounds or euros, and earning pesos.

Although we can live without one, I wish I could afford a car.

The extraordinary cost of imported goods has its pros and cons. The cons are obvious - everything costs a fortune, so you either have to pay ridiculous prices, or do without. And there's the pro right there - you learn to do without. And realise that you don't need even 10% of the crap you've get used to buy, upgrading, replacing etc. I used to get gadget envy. Now I couldn't care less. Personally, I think thats a good thing.

With the fairly basic private healthcare plan we have here, I have never felt so well looked after in my life, and I'm very grateful we got to have a baby here instead of back home. The experience here was exceptional. Sure, I pay for it instead of having a free system, but the free system back home wasn't all that great. Unless you consider being told "wait a couple of weeks and come back if it gets worse" progressive healthcare.

argh.... could go on but will stop. End of the day we love living here, but its too hard to get home easily, and thats ultimately why we'll leave.

Who says B.A. is an international city? I would argue by many measures it is not. Comparing it to other cities around the world is probably not all that fruitful. Comparing it to other cities in South America would make more sense.

I moved on from BsAs back in 2005, to try my luck in NZ (Auckland and, later, Wellington). Despite NZ being physically attractive and usually appearing in different "top 10" places to visit or live, I found myself being drawn back to S America..arriving last August. I gave up a good job over there and have yet to find one here, but there is something about the vitality, unpredictability and the "rough edges" to life, that exist in S America, that I've not found elsewhere.

I whole-heartedly agree with jp that BsAs has a much better (or more attractive) work/life balance that anywhere else I've lived (except at a ski resort in Colorado).

I also agree with jp's take on healthcare. It seems to me that there is MUCH LESS RED TAPE and bureaucratic BS to deal with in BsAs than in the states.

As far as comparing BsAs to cities in other continents not being fruitful (like gouchobob wrote), that's all in the eye of the beholder. Why wouldn't someone from another continent benefit from comparing BsAs to their native city?

jp said:
pace of life is easier and there's more emphasis on spending time with family and friends, and less in an office. I earned more money back in the uk, but i worked twice as hard for it. All things considered, i prefer the work/life balance here.

The city is dirty, polluted, noisy, chaotic and urgently needs a shower and a shave. Strange thing about this is, the longer you live here, the more "sterile" other cities start to look.

People putting things on my lap doesn't really bother me. Neither do the performances you get everytime take a subte. The cold, uncaring indifference human beings have towards each other in other places is a bigger problem. I've never once seen someone sing, or do a little routine in a subte or train carriage without getting a round of applause and some spare change at the end. Cocooning yourself away from the rest of the world might be more comfortable, but i don't think it does individuals or society any good. I'd rather know poverty was there than try and ignore it.

If you earn pesos, leaving the country is punishingly expensive. Thats my main gripe about living here these days. Its not the distance, or the time it would take to get home - i'd gladly sit a day on a plane. Its the fact that i can't afford to, and saving up enough pesos to fly the three of us home is a major expense. So is spending any amount of time in another country, spending pesos. As much as people moan and complain about how expensive life here is, its a damn sight more expensive when you're paying pounds or euros, and earning pesos.

Although we can live without one, i wish i could afford a car.

The extraordinary cost of imported goods has its pros and cons. The cons are obvious - everything costs a fortune, so you either have to pay ridiculous prices, or do without. And there's the pro right there - you learn to do without. And realise that you don't need even 10% of the crap you've get used to buy, upgrading, replacing etc. I used to get gadget envy. Now i couldn't care less. Personally, i think thats a good thing.

With the fairly basic private healthcare plan we have here, i have never felt so well looked after in my life, and i'm very grateful we got to have a baby here instead of back home. The experience here was exceptional. Sure, i pay for it instead of having a free system, but the free system back home wasn't all that great. Unless you consider being told "wait a couple of weeks and come back if it gets worse" progressive healthcare.

Argh.... Could go on but will stop. End of the day we love living here, but its too hard to get home easily, and thats ultimately why we'll leave.

amen!!!!!!

Back