Protest Against Milei’s Move to Scrap Film Institute, INCAA

From what I've read, INCAA is overstaffed and produces less films than other similar govt funded dept or organization in other countries. Again, more govt inefficiency that has come to so characterize Argentina.

I can't comment on the secondary sort of economic effects that the film industry has because I know nothing about that, but most of the people I see at the Cine Gaumont are older folks. I realize that those people probably can't afford to see a Hollywood blockbuster at Recoleta Mall, and I'm glad they have movies to go see, but a lot of the movies I see there are crap, so are we really benefitting them through INCAA? Maybe that's the only way to produce quality film directors, allowing them to practice and make some crap along the way, but I do wonder if some of those folks whom we all know will never make self sustaining films, should look for another line of work, as has already been suggested. It's the same issue from a number of years ago whether the govt should give special retirement benefits to all writers, even if they never turned any real profits. I guess so much of this comes down to what you see as the role of the State. And just so you know, I love the vibrant art scene in Argentina.

Last edited:
Po, so INCAA is badly run. If government is funding it, can also change leadership, direction, whatever. Again the easy way. Bad and corrupt, let's close it down... Normal countries change the director, lower funding, stuff like this. Not destroying everything. After you destroy it, it's really painful to construct it again, and cost much more than maintaining.

To make profitable movies, and attract commercials and foreign movies, you need active movie industry in the country. Not every country can have their own Hollywood, but every country should have some production.

And I saw quite some very good Argentinian movies in last decades. Some were nominated, or even won Oscar.

And just so you know, I love the vibrant art scene in Argentina.
The vibrant art scene in Argentina is the result of a nurturing environment, which includes, among other factors, government support. This support provides an opportunity to create art. While not every work becomes a masterpiece, such an environment might just be the catalyst for someone to create something remarkable.

As I said, it's a difference in mentality. Take the 'Palacio de Aguas Corrientes', for example. Why build a palace, with all its architectural grandeur, around what is essentially a water tank? Couldn’t it just be a cube made from stainless steel, or an American-style water tower with the city's name on it?

The irony is that people who move here probably don't want to live in a place dominated by a utilitarian cube made of stainless steel. Yet, at the same time, they are eager to teach everyone how practicality is better because it saves money.

Po, so INCAA is badly run. If government is funding it, can also change leadership, direction, whatever. Again the easy way. Bad and corrupt, let's close it down... Normal countries change the director, lower funding, stuff like this. Not destroying everything. After you destroy it, it's really painful to construct it again, and cost much more than maintaining.

To make profitable movies, and attract commercials and foreign movies, you need active movie industry in the country. Not every country can have their own Hollywood, but every country should have some production.

And I saw quite some very good Argentinian movies in last decades. Some were nominated, or even won Oscar.
I should have explained better my position. I am not saying that all Inacc funding should be stopped, nor all funding for the arts in general. If a govt has the funds to support all those things, why not, but that is not the case with the current govt. No hay plata, and I will add that the poor in general don't go to the theater or movies, so there's no benefit there, and that money could have been spent on them. A double whammy.

The vibrant art scene in Argentina is the result of a nurturing environment, which includes, among other factors, government support. This support provides an opportunity to create art. While not every work becomes a masterpiece, such an environment might just be the catalyst for someone to create something remarkable.

As I said, it's a difference in mentality. Take the 'Palacio de Aguas Corrientes', for example. Why build a palace, with all its architectural grandeur, around what is essentially a water tank? Couldn’t it just be a cube made from stainless steel, or an American-style water tower with the city's name on it?

The irony is that people who move here probably don't want to live in a place dominated by a utilitarian cube made of stainless steel. Yet, at the same time, they are eager to teach everyone how practicality is better because it saves money.
It's funny that you mention the Palacio de Aguas Corrientes because that is my favorite building in all of CABA, and I'm so glad that I get to see it and so much other beautiful architecture in BA on a regular basis, but I feel that, just like with the Arts, seeing those beautiful buildings is a privilege and not a right. Maybe I would be living elsewhere without those things being here, but no one owes me those things. And maybe that money could have been better spent on the poor. Who's to know. I understand the argument that sometimes the secondary economic effects make the initial investment worthwhile.

I think expats and Argentines alike have gotten so used to subsidies and hand outs, that we feel entitled to those things. Middle class Argentines can't imagine having to pay for their child's college education because that would mean not being able to go to the beach those summers. They feel the govt owes them that.

And white we're talking about secondary effects, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if second or third rate writers and film directors were told their mediocre projects weren't going to be funded by the govt. They might actually go out and find a means of living that would actually provide them with more income and make them happier. It might also send investors the idea that the country's getting it's fiscal house in order and make it more attractive.

INCAA does a lot of different things.
For instance, it catalogs and preserves argentine films. They have copies of over 10,000 films, many of which otherwise would not exist.
So its a library.
It also has a program of showing films in prisons and in schools, for free, to the inmates and students.
So its a part of the educational and rehabilition system (and, of course, poor people DO go to prison and to public schools)
They support, with some grants, along with technical assistance and loans of film, Museums who show film around the country.
The have an awards program which helps publicize Argentine film, and encourage young filmmakers.
And, yes, they give grants to filmmakers- although, often, in pretty small amounts.
Here, for an example, is the list of subsidies for December- some significant, some as small as 37,000 pesos.

I dont know how many second rate and mediocre writers and directors they fund, but I kinda doubt any of them are actually living on INCAA grants. Most of the money goes right out of the wallet to pay for the films.

I heard from the Minister of Justice that INCA and the Film Institute spend 70 % of the Budget on administrative expenses and 30 % in funding films..!
That should be changed.
The INCA was mentioned as producing only one film in 2023.

I heard from the Minister of Justice that INCA and the Film Institute spend 70 % of the Budget on administrative expenses and 30 % in funding films..!
That should be changed.
The INCA was mentioned as producing only one film in 2023.
as I mentioned- their primary role is not funding films- its encouraging the industry and art of filmmaking. all those employees are archiving and preserving, consulting with agencies, schools, museums, and theaters all over the country, helping run and curate film festivals and showings, running the Gaumont theater, and, in general, looking at the big picture.
To my way of thinking, thats the way it should be.
Their budgets, right down to spreadsheets, are easily available online, along with all kinds of information about specifics.
click on "institutional" on the left side, and the drop down menu will show you all the actual figures.

Back