Protest Against Milei’s Move to Scrap Film Institute, INCAA

Click anywhere on the article in Spanish to open the menu. Next click on Translate to English.
2 November 2017
....An expert opinion carried out by the Supreme Court determined that Andrea Del Boca and her relatives received a total of $3,141,734 for the novel “Mama Corazón”, which was financed by the former Minister of Planning K, Julio De Vido, and that was never broadcasted on the air.
....The amounts emerge from an investigation led by the Justice Dept to determine how the 36 million pesos that the Argentine Universal Content Audiovisual Bank (BACUA) had granted to put it on the air were spent, something that never happened. According to material seized from the production company A + A Group, in charge of producing the series, Andrea del Boca pocketed $1,799,426. Her father, Nicolás, received $1,010,826. while Ana, the actress's mother, received $35,200. Meanwhile, her sister Anabella collected $193,600 and Ana Chiara, her daughter, $102,682. (Mitre)....
I am both shocked and appalled. (sarcasm).

Apparently INCAA doesn't turn a profit. In the last 4 years they spent around 11B Pesos and brought in little return.

I do love the art and culture from Argentina, but it feels very elitist to argue that the government should spend money financing films and wealthy actors while 50% of the population is improverished

I'm in favor of Arts and Culture but I think we do need to prioritize things. My frustration is the money from cutting INCAA won't go to ensure public hospitals have needles or bedsheets, but rather tax cuts for rich farmers with a fleet of 2023 Hiluxes.

If it was a 1:1 transfer to healthcare or social services or the like it'd be easier to support.

I'm in favor of Arts and Culture but I think we do need to prioritize things. My frustration is the money from cutting INCAA won't go to ensure public hospitals have needles or bedsheets, but rather tax cuts for rich farmers with a fleet of 2023 Hiluxes.

If it was a 1:1 transfer to healthcare or social services or the like it'd be easier to support.
Exactly. Argentina has some extremely poor regions, completely forgotten, until someone wants to cut something. Then they mention them, but money never reach those. Meanwhile Mercadolibre gets more than 100 million usd in tax reduction, while not paying extra hours to workers.

Apparently INCAA doesn't turn a profit. In the last 4 years they spent around 11B Pesos and brought in little return.

I wouldn't have expected INCAA to turn a profit because I wouldn't have thought that was its purpose. It provides seed money that returns to the economy in many ways, multiplied many times. For example the UK equivalent - 25% tax break for films made in Britain stimulated over US$30billion in receipts from British films in one recent year; the National Theatre in London receives direct subsidy each year of about GB£16 million which brings in hundreds of millions in tourist dollars from people who wouldn't visit Britain if the National Theatre was not there.

Click anywhere on the article in Spanish to open the menu. Next click on Translate to English.
2 November 2017
....An expert opinion carried out by the Supreme Court determined that Andrea Del Boca and her relatives received a total of $3,141,734 for the novel “Mama Corazón”, which was financed by the former Minister of Planning K, Julio De Vido, and that was never broadcasted on the air.
....The amounts emerge from an investigation led by the Justice Dept to determine how the 36 million pesos that the Argentine Universal Content Audiovisual Bank (BACUA) had granted to put it on the air were spent, something that never happened. According to material seized from the production company A + A Group, in charge of producing the series, Andrea del Boca pocketed $1,799,426. Her father, Nicolás, received $1,010,826. while Ana, the actress's mother, received $35,200. Meanwhile, her sister Anabella collected $193,600 and Ana Chiara, her daughter, $102,682. (Mitre)....

One thing is obvious. Nobody on this list has ever worked in the entertainment industry. Pretty much every comment offered here is incorrect.
FACT 1: arts programs have been shown, repeatedly, to have a multiplier effect. “Every $1 increase in the demand for arts and culture generates $1.69 in total output; for every job created from new demand for the arts, an additional 1.62 positions are also created.” (Office of Research & Analysis National Endowment for the Arts.)
The profit from film production is not the point. It’s just icing.
FACT 2: People like going to movies and watch long-form TV. If these are not produced in country you’re simply shipping desperately needed hard currency overseas. And losing the economic benefits of Fact 1. Should films and TV be produced when people are starving? That’s for you to say? Ask the people. What happened during the American depression? Hungry people went to the movies. Their decision. They needed, wanted to be entertained.
All this is about money. Now we get to all the intangibles. Does have a vibrant film/tv/arts community add to the emotional and intellectual health and well-being and prestige of the nation? You tell me.
I love the arts, but why should a country with close to 50% poverty be financing romantic comedies?
No brainer. Ask yourself: why in the depression 1930s did the film industries of the US, Germany etc. produce so many fluffy romantic comedies? Because audiences, as cash-strapped as they were, wanted to be entertained and their minds taken off the unhappiness of the day. Ever see “Sullivan’s Travels”? (Paramount, 1941).

Back