Protest Protocols Argentina/chile/u.s.a.

Noesdeayer

Registered
As most of you know we have a new protest protocol in place in Argentina now.It was very much needed and a long time in coming.Before its enactment any number of protestors no matter how small were allowed to cut off streets and highways for any reason whatever.They had a problem so YOU had a problem.This was against the Argentine Constitution but,no matter,the word from either of the Ks (Nestor or Cristina) was "No Reprimir- No Repression".People checked their morning new papers and TV programs to plan their travel plans for the day.With the new gov't these protest have been mostly orderly like in some other countries.
I have just returned from Chile where they are used to imposing their protocol somewhat more strictly.It has been commom place for decades to see 3 or 4 Carbineros/as patrolling the streets accompanied by a German Shepherd dog.Although this is at first sight definitely foreboding,it does not appear to upset the every day Chileans in the street who are quite accustomed to it.Since the signing of the new university law,the student protest marches which were disperssed with water cannon and tear gas seem to have stopped for the moment.
I saw a protest march on the morning news which was a good example.The neighbors of a suburban community near Santiago were protesting a marked increase in a toll road leading into the capital.The protedtors headed by the woman mayor of the locality walked along the side of the highway with the usual signs and chants between them and the traffic walked the carbineros with their German Shepherds.The protestors knew that if they stepped onto the highway and refused to get off,the carboneros would use -not the dogs-but tear gas.What they seemed to really want was the media coverage which allowed them to explain their problem.
I was remined then of the only protest march in which I have ever participated.In NYC in my 20s and the NYPD officers telling us over and over,"Up on the sidewalk and keep moving" but without the German Shepherds.

Chile is a good example of the other end of the spectrum. On two occasions I accidentally got close to demonstrations and witnessed brutality on both sides. But surprisingly (or maybe not so surprisingly) the brutality of the Carabineros was always targeted towards obviously peaceful protesters. One one occasion a group of 3-4 young school girls. It sometimes feels like the carabineros do want they want - without being controlled by the government. The fourth force of the military.

And your comment: "... it does not appear to upset the every day Chileans" seems to be valid for a lot of things there. Chileans in general do not seem to complain much. Different culture.

r2d2:
Thanks for your comment.
It could also be that the Chileans do not have all that much to complain about.
Only about 4% YEARLY Inflation and about the same % of unemployment in real figures.
This has been a constant for over 20 years.-in Argentina it was 4% in February alone.
Although their society used to be one of great income differences,this is being reduced,albeit slowly but gradually by economic stability.
I can not comment on Carbinero excesses having not witnessed any personally.

It was not again the National Constitution because the right to protest is, precisely, there. You probably mean the criminal code.

It is not true that there was not a protocol, in fact, UN standards were used incorporated to the local law:

http://www.ohchr.org/SP/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/UseOfForceAndFirearms.aspx

The difference is this new administration is creating a lot of social unrest, so, they are need to use brutal force and intimidation a lot.

The difference is this new administration is creating a lot of social unrest, so, they are need to use brutal force and intimidation a lot.
But the old administration was leading the country to the sh*tholes.

The old administration was creating a lot of social unrest so they needed to use economic force and intimidation a lot .

Bajo_cero2 :
Fine it was agaist the criminal code then,not the constitution.It was a violation,nonetheless, that the Ks allowed to continue for years because it was to their benefit.

The new administration is laying off a whole lot of "ñoquis" ( dead weight ) about 10,000 at last count. If Scioli had won,he probably would have had to do somethin similar because with only about U$D 27 bn. left of reserves and VERY few chances of international credit help ,he wouldn't have been able to do much else.
In a way,it is better for those laid off that Macri did win because with his gov't there should be considerably more chance for re-employment in the private sector.
Whereas with Scioli they really would have been "al caño", down the drain.
Really,Bajo,why do you bother ? Nobody believes you . no te gastes tanto !

The old administration was creating a lot of social unrest so they needed to use economic force and intimidation a lot .

Can you please enlight me about this?
As far as I know, in the former administration NOBODY nedeed to live in a militar garrison (Vidal).

Bajo_cero2 :
Fine it was agaist the criminal code then,not the constitution.It was a violation,nonetheless, that the Ks allowed to continue for years because it was to their benefit.

The new administration is laying off a whole lot of "ñoquis" ( dead weight ) about 10,000 at last count. If Scioli had won,he probably would have had to do somethin similar because with only about U$D 27 bn. left of reserves and VERY few chances of international credit help ,he wouldn't have been able to do much else.
In a way,it is better for those laid off that Macri did win because with his gov't there should be considerably more chance for re-employment in the private sector.
Whereas with Scioli they really would have been "al caño", down the drain.
Really,Bajo,why do you bother ? Nobody believes you . no te gastes tanto !

The local public employment and usd has little to none relationship. So, no, Scioli was not going to do the same.

Until now, not a single ñoqui was fired but, a lot of them were hired. Too many of them are relatives... Nepostism? Nooooooo.

Instead, seems that there are political persecution reason for he massive layouts:
http://www.diarioregistrado.com/politica/el-video-que-confirma-la-persecucion-politica-en-el-estado_a56fe650d484259fc626e3bee

As most of you know we have a new protest protocol in place in Argentina now.It was very much needed and a long time in coming.Before its enactment any number of protestors no matter how small were allowed to cut off streets and highways for any reason whatever. ...
I was remined then of the only protest march in which I have ever participated.In NYC in my 20s and the NYPD officers telling us over and over,"Up on the sidewalk and keep moving" but without the German Shepherds.
I recall attending the GOP or Democrat's political convention in Miami in the late 60's or early 70's. The water cannon in the streets prevented any political assembly and protest. The police state establishment was in full control. Inside the convention the scrubbed pink faces of the party reminded me of pigs screaming with hysteria for food in a factory farm.

Back