Protest Trump Inauguration And Women's March At Us Embassy

During my entire adult life, I've argued that state and city rights should not only be respected, but be expanded as much as possible to counter balance the federal government. Liberals did not care much for that talk.
But my whole argument was exactly so that in moments like this, states and cities would have the power to tell the Federal Government to fuck off, which NYC just did.
I think mayor de Blasio is a dildo, but this was a beautiful speech, and I am with him on this issue.

During my entire adult life, I've argued that state and city rights should not only be respected, but be expanded as much as possible to counter balance the federal government. Liberals did not care much for that talk.
But my whole argument was exactly so that in moments like this, states and cities would have the power to tell the Federal Government to fuck off, which NYC just did.
I think mayor de Blasio is a dildo, but this was a beautiful speech, and I am with him on this issue.

It will be interesting to see what happens if/when the federal government cuts back on funding for NYC.

Bob

Bravo de Blasio! He's not always my favorite politician either, but that's a great speech.

Even Trump won't be able to alienate everyone, especially in "his" own country. If NY and CA rebel, he will have more issues on his hands than just...cutting funding for contraception and family planning for poor women, restarting the Dakota pipeline project, stopping select refugees from entering the country, taking steps to build the wall against Mexico, losing all of the most senior members of the State Department, placing a gag order on the EPA and NPS for releasing scientific data regarding climate change, removing the LGBTQ and climate change and civil rights pages from the White House website, while actually spending most of his time and energy arguing about the size of the crowd at his inauguration.

And we haven't even gotten through a full week of his Presidency yet.

It will be interesting to see what happens if/when the federal government cuts back on funding for NYC.

Bob

its hardly just NYC-
http://www.ojjpac.org/sanctuary.asp
this list includes towns and counties in Alaska, Nevada, Ohio, Texas, North Dakota, and hundreds more.

and, if Trump tries to cut back funding, his first moves will be law enforcement, immigration, and federal courts. Those are the things he controls directly.
Many other sources of federal funding are congressionally mandated- meaning congress would have to be the one who pulled funds for mass transit, or environmental cleanup, or farm subsidies. Much of that is not only very popular, but tied up in multiyear programs with many state and federal employees- it would be disastrous, time consuming, and political suicide.
the vast majority of federal funding, to NYC, or anywhere else in the USA, of course, is Social Security and Medicare.
I think if he cut that, he might hear about it- and thats well over 50% of the funding.

Everything Donald Trump did in his First Week as President

https://www.thenation.com/article/what-donald-trump-did-this-week/

d06KMTb.png

Back