Public transportation

I remember when the machines that accept the coins were implemented, it was a huge business to the man who imported the machines from Germany. So, probably his business is not going to be finish anytime soon.

Roxana said:
I remember when the machines that accept the coins were implemented, it was a huge business to the man who imported the machines from Germany. So, probably his business is not going to be finish anytime soon.

Probably not. They've had the subte card in the subte for a long time, but still you see the Argentines lining up to buy their single ticket.

Why? Swiping the card is so much faster. That way the bus driver can leave the bus stop earlier and your traveling time is shortened. If they only could charge the same fare for wherever you went, it would be even faster.

The issue of the public transportation here is special. For instance, the union of the drivers is powerful, the owners of the buses get money from the government to buy gas to be able to run the buses, therefore there is not interest in having a flat rate for every single ride in Capital Federal and Gran Buenos Aires, with a population of around 12-15 million people.

xibeca said:
Probably not. They've had the subte card in the subte for a long time, but still you see the Argentines lining up to buy their single ticket.

I am sure that half of those in line are buying the single ticket just so they will have coins for the bus later.

Desde2008 said:
I am sure that half of those in line are buying the single ticket just so they will have coins for the bus later.

I doubt that because on the buses that do have the subte card implemented, very few people are actually using it.

Be ready to travel like cattle, though

14 million people, not enough subway lines, suburban trains are not being more developed (despite an improvement in the Sarmiento line, trains with AC). We need two floor trains, fast-bus lanes or trams in the main avenues, an integrated payment system (a weekly card valid for all public transport), and a decentralization plan.

I forgot, a train line connecting all lines, maybe in the General Paz, cannot be thatyou need to get to the center before branching to Belgrano from the West, or travelmore than 1 hour by bus in a congested avenue.

Back