purchasing/renting a car

Micilin

Registered
hello. i would like to drive around the southern cone in the next couple of weeks. does anyone have experience with purchasing a car in BA? I have heard that you cannot leave argentina into Chile with an argentine car? is this true? How about renting? does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

thanks so much.

"Micilin" said:
hello. i would like to drive around the southern cone in the next couple of weeks. does anyone have experience with purchasing a car in BA? I have heard that you cannot leave argentina into Chile with an argentine car? is this true? How about renting? does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

thanks so much.
Well for one, your native country's driver's license is only good for the Buenos Aires province, outside of the province, you'd need an international driver's license, and yes, you can't take an Argentine car out of Argentina w/o paying the tariffs or an international driver's license. However, with an international license and your own car that you brought in from your native country, you can be granted a temporary entry but the car must be out of the country by that time or you will have to pay a fine. I think the grant is as long as your visa and it is automatically renewed when your visa is renewed. To enter Brazil, Paraguay, Bolivia, or Chile, you would need to obtain a visa from the respective country's embassy, American or not. If you're not American, you can add Uruguay to your list as well. Entry visas are required for MOST people who are not from the countries that are members of MERCOSUR with exception of Argentina & Uruguay for Americans, we're granted 90 days without a visa. Usually the tourist visas are $100ish (USD) and it must be obtained beforehand as there are no visas given at the point of entry. I hope this helps.
Mike

Back