Pursuing higher education in BA

KaydeeGavron

Registered
Hey guys! My fiance and I will be moving to BA in February (we'll be married by then) and I'm really wondering about education. I've been studying for the GRE before we decided to make the move and was considering going to a master's program for counseling psychology here in the U.S. Now that I know we will be in BA for a while, I am looking into education options and would love some advice from people with applicable experiences.

My husband-to-be is an Argentine citizen and I am wondering if I should pursue residency or citizenship and an education at UBA or if I should do a study-abroad program with an American University. Anyone have any advice about the financial aspects of both? I will be living with family and I'm not sure if I want to practice in Argentina long term or in the U.S. I am also concerned about how the U.S. tends to treat foreign educations and certifications. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

To my knowledge you don’t need any type of residency/citizenship to enroll, as the fact that Argentina has free education and it’s quite good, has people coming from all over to study here. Including neighbouring countries like Chile where they do not offer free education.

With regards to how well education/degree is seen from Argentina in the states, please know that there are some degrees which will not transfer over at all because of the vast differences (such as law) in their fields (IE: Argentine law has nothing to do with US law at all, so getting a law degree in Argentina with hopes of practicing in the states or basically out of Argentina is futile. I do believe some like medicine allow you to match credits in some subjects with their US counterpart) but if it’s a general field of study (Business, IT, etc) or MBA they are internationally compatible.

I have a degree from abroad and the response is usually mixed: some HR people adore and are fascinated by the international experience, some are immediately turned off by it because it makes hard to verify, etc

Back