Quality of life declining?

It is happening in a similar way in other coutnries though (I mean, the spread of homelessness to smaller cities). Cardiff in the UK is a good example. It is a city with a population of around 300,000 (La Plata is at least double) and you could walk across the city center within around 15 minutes. The city center is full of homeless people, who like in the U.S. cities have been given free reign to pitch tents, camp, hang out in front of businessess etc. It's like running a gauntlet of people asking for change.

Perhaps it is now only happening in Argentina, but it is very much the world's problem.

I completely condone how governments worldwide are allowing once beautiful cities be blighted by drug addiction and laissev faire policies on their rights. Sydney Australia in the inner city is full of these feral bogans panhandling . urinating and more on the streets and local government turns a blind eye . In Sydney methamphetamine addiction is amongst the worst on the western world and it seems that corrupt goverments are allowing drug ploriferation be our new norm now . Fortunately for now Argentina is not like this and most homeless people are genuinely poor and decent people but of course that can change if the economy tanks and desperation sets in .

Last edited:
Same in San Francisco. Union Square, the heart of downtown, has been used as a toilet for years - the stench is awful.

Where do the immigrants coming from and what attracts them to Argentina these days?

Where do the immigrants coming from and what attracts them to Argentina these days?

Venezuelans, Paraguayans, and Bolivians. As is tradition here in South America, no matter how badly you're doing, your neighbors are doing worse.

Paraguay isn't doing as bad as Venezuela or Bolivia, but for people outside of the major cities it's pretty rough and there aren't many opportunities. Heck, if you've ever seen how bad the infrastructure is in Asunción you'd wonder if people outside the city even have roads.

Venezuelans, Paraguayans, and Bolivians. As is tradition here in South America, no matter how badly you're doing, your neighbors are doing worse.

Paraguay isn't doing as bad as Venezuela or Bolivia, but for people outside of the major cities it's pretty rough and there aren't many opportunities. Heck, if you've ever seen how bad the infrastructure is in Asunción you'd wonder if people outside the city even have roads.
Paraguayan minimum wage is almost double of Argentinian, if calculated in USD now.

Same in San Francisco. Union Square, the heart of downtown, has been used as a toilet for years - the stench is awful.

Well, as I write this I'm sitting in my office directly off Union Square, and I can assure you that the smell is just fine and there's nobody soiling the streets. You might be thinking of the TL or the Civic Center, but Union Square is still tidy and brimming with tourists.

Surely you don't expect labor laws to be followed in Latin America, right?
Free market takes care of that. Comes out cheaper to employers to pay workers than to bribe paraguayan police. Also no income tax on first +/-USD14000 earned and 10% after that.

Rich Expat Shocked That Homeless People Exist In Country Undergoing Economic Crisis

No concern for the people, just your 'quality of life'.
to quote mel Brooks.....History of the World, Part I

Count de Money: Sir, the peasants are revolting.

King Louis: You said it !....they stink on ice

Back