Quality/Speed of internet

paradox

Registered
In my hunt for an apartment, the majority of rentals all state that Wi-Fi is included. Could expats please report their experience of the speed and reliability of service of the typical "wi-fi" connection. Are connections 'unlimited' in their download quota (where I am from accounts are limited). This is of importance as I work as an IT consultant and rely on remote accessing machines internationally.

Many thanks :)

There are two type of internet ADSL http://www.arnet.com.ar/+ Cable http://www.fibertel.com.ar/..both offer various speeds... from 640 up to 5 -10 Mega. There are no limitations that I know of...as far as d/l limits... Reliability is good in my experience, a few reboot's of modems from time to time usually solves the problems.

Generally the Internet provided in rentals is lower speed stuff, although I have rented place's w/ 3 mega cable 'net and d/l's were speedy...to say the least..!:)

I've stayed in three apartments and maybe I've been lucky but I've found the speed more than satisfactory.

One problem is that some US sites will block you for copyright reasons (e.g. news videos) but other than that I've no problems. And there are work arounds for the blocking.

So whether you are an "IT consultant";) or simply wish to stream Debbie as she romps through the Cowboy's locker room:D, I think your needs will be met.

Can some forum members in BA please go to www.speedtest.net and do a test to Perth, Western Australia and post speeds reported and whether they are on ADSL or cable - this will really help me determine which provider I need to select. My results are:

Ummm - That was interesting - Sorry, I am simply comparing as I am moving to BA Myself - Seems somewhat of an issue may be here...

Hey there

I am using both cable and DSL (for redundancy - that should tell you something already!)

I forget what speed they claim to be offering (I think my cable states 3 meg and the DSL 2), and it doesn't matter because the stated rate has NOTHING to do with the actual rate. I have never seen download speeds in excess of 1 meg, usually significantly less.

This obviously varies from neighborhood to neighborhood (probably from block to block with cable) but be prepared to deal with the reality of Internet in BA!

Good luck

David

captdave said:
... I forget what speed they claim to be offering (I think my cable states 3 meg and the DSL 2), and it doesn't matter because the stated rate has NOTHING to do with the actual rate. I have never seen download speeds in excess of 1 meg, usually significantly less.
This is a world wide problem.

You have ordered (unknowingly, the ISPs never tell private customers about this) e.g. 3 Mb/s shared = when available - and that is what you get, you share the capacity with whoever is online on the same fibres + cables.

If you really want those 3 Mb/s, you order 3 Mb/s QOS - and bleed for it, unless you actually need 3 Mb/s 7x24, in which case the price is just right. For QOS small customers pay 5-6-7 times the price for shared access.

QOS = 'Quality Of Service', which means that 3 Mb/s is reserved for you 7x24, whether you use it or not. The more advanced providers may time limit this for very large customers, thus cutting the price somewhat. This is sometimes done, but we hate it, because it makes it difficult to balance work loads on the fibre rings.

There is another (common) problem: Intercontinental connections.

Speedtest.net gave me (2 tests)
0.76 and 0.52 Mb/s down and 0.27 and 0.28 Mb/s up to Perth, Australia

and 12 seconds later (using a Swedish test program)

1.90 and 1.91 Mb/s down and 0.48 and 0.41 Mb/s up to Malmö, Sweden - on a 2.0 Mb/s shared fibre, where the split ought to be 8/1 and not 4/1.

Back