Ques on pay in the UK. Anyone from the UK?

A salray of £17,000 per month would push him into the higher tax bracket, 50% on all earnings over £100,000 pa. But this is going down to 45% from next April.

I don't know about the UK, but that would be about right for someone working out of the States as a manager of an area base on the drilling side of things, which where I come from would have been upper-middle management in drilling operations. Maybe the salary is a little higher than I would be used to knowing about because I worked for a drilling contractor, not one of the owners of the wells we were drilling - the "company men" (the guys who worked for the company who was contracting us, like Chevron) were paid even more than our guys.

In the States the drilling operations managers (contractor or company man) get a LOT of autonomy with their responsibilities, and therefore a LOT of money.

I don't know about production operations, I was always on the drilling side.

Helluva salary, though, without knowing much more about the actual position.

20 K a month GBP 240 K a year or USD $384 K seems like a fair income ? seems higher than what international expats in Buenos Aires get.

Depends on the job.

There aren't very many expats here, at the moment at least, working in petroleum exploration or production, that I know if. I know Chevron used to have an office here, but it consisted of a couple of guys and a couple of secretaries.

It also depends on the posting.

Guys who work in places like Nigeria, for example, got a 40% danger bonus when posted there in the company I worked for. Drilling engineers, also, are very scarce. Seems like there's never enough. High demand, high danger - high pay.

But like I mentioned previously, without knowing the actual job or posting it is difficult to know if that's a reasonable salary.

My boss at the drilling company I worked for, who was the Director of IT, made around $200K a year before stock options. Upper-middle management, and non-operational. He rarely stepped out of his office except for meetings and such, except one time he did meet me in Aberdeen to check up on progress of a refitting project we were working on...

Thanks all who replied.

In short, I am trying to see if the offer is authentic. It sounds high for the work description given, which was quite BS IMO. I do not have all the details as I didn't manage to speak with my friend, just saw his email and offer letter.

However, it is not impossible to reach those levels in the oil and gas and mining industries. A truck driver in Australia working in Oil and Gas in those mega projects can earn up to USD 200K pa. Here in BA, it is also possible for the MNCs expats in oil and gas and mining industry though not many.... In general, the pay of expats is on an international scale.

It's a multi-national, I'm assuming he's interviewed there in person so why are you wondering about the authenticity?

Dipoots said:
middle management operations position in the UK with a multinational oil company

See here Oil Careers .com

and here - Hays are well known head hunters in the UK and produce a Guide to Global Oil and Gas Salaries dated 2012

Average in UK £81,000 to £87000 per annum. A lot more information in there about types of positions and pecuniary non salary benefits also.

Sadly one of my best mates, who I was at uni with and who did a Geology and Oceanography degree and of course then went into some interesting places with oil companies, died last week from heart problems. A fab salary didn't help that.

So I cant ask him about salaries etc. Some things transcend such considerations.

Back