question about money and Argentine peso.

I want to know how I can earn $30,000/year off of $120,000. That is an incredible 25% return per year. Sign me up...

Argentine currency is undervalued. It means that market pressure is to revalue it, or feed inflation (is inflation in dollar).

On other side, the government plans to devalue the peso 10%/year to sustain competitivity.

I advice to not convert your savings to peso. If you want safety, gold shares are a good option.

If you want to invert on real state, most deals are done on cash (dollar cash). Real state on Argentina is healthy, but I don't trust it. I suspect of a bubble, although I don't have numerical data to back my hunch, but on my city there are up to 3 new buildings on each block row (and even dozens on some blocks). I can't believe that the market is capable of buying all those homes.

A good investment are shares on Mendoza wine. It haves plenty of foreigner investors, because a $100 bottle can be produced at near $10 (including transport and marketing). So is crisis proof, and the business mindset is foreign friendly. Also, it have largely investment of European royal families, and important European car-makers, so it gives some safety against European protectionism.

Sleuth said:
I want to know how I can earn $30,000/year off of $120,000. That is an incredible 25% return per year. Sign me up...
he's tight with Bernie Maddoffs cousin

Sleuth said:

Anyone who can make that kind of dough shouldn't have to join the Army to learn IT. Doesn't the Army pay about $22,000 USD per year? The OP would have to save 90% of it for six years to have $120K. If he has some savings now he could get the IT education at a vocational college without joining the Army, but chances of finding an IT job in Argentina will be less than 10%.

I can, however, imagine that the Army might look like a good alternative to a 25-26 year old male who is about to be kicked out of his parents basement and be taken off their health insurance policy. I also wonder if the Army accepts recruits with "full sleeve" tattoos. Even if they do, I hope they have some psychological tests to weed out those who are a more than just a bit out of touch with reality (speaking generally, of course).

Sleuth said:

Thank you! That was my first thought exactly. With the hits of the last few years and the way the market will be going forward 25% would be pretty unbelievable.

25% has got to be high risk investments -- hmm, maybe he is suited to life in Argentina ;)

Canick said:
oh and buy the clothes now, I can promise they will be cheaper than in 5 years. Although I can't guarantee they will still be in style.

I am pretty sure that if he buys clothes outside Argentina now they will definitely be in style by the time he moves here. At the moment there seems to be a revival of the 80s style here...
:D :D :D :D

whammy said:
...also what is everyones opinion on the Argentine peso? Every online article I have read about the future of the Argentine peso is from 2005 or earlier. Right now 1 usd is 3.9720 Argentine pesos. Do you think this will go up or down or stay the same?
thanks

Have you heard of google?

If you enter the words "argentine peso forecast" in the search box you will find professional opinions written in 2010. The search will take about one tenth of a second.

In April this one predicted the current rate rather well: http://www.investica.co.uk/argentina.htm

They only provide a forecast for 12 months.

steveinbsas said:
Anyone who can make that kind of dough shouldn't have to join the Army to learn IT. Doesn't the Army pay about $22,000 USD per year? The OP would have to save 90% of it for six years to have $120K. If he has some savings now he could get the IT education at a vocational college without joining the Army, but chances of finding an IT job in Argentina will be less than 10%.

I can, however, imagine that the Army might look like a good alternative to a 25-26 year old male who is about to be kicked out of his parents basement and be taken off their health insurance policy. I also wonder if the Army accepts recruits with "full sleeve" tattoos. Even if they do, I hope they have some psychological tests to weed out those who are a more than just a bit out of touch with reality (speaking generally, of course).

The clothing choice is quite limited in the army too :p

whammy said:
I dont want to live like a king. but I plan on getting at least an "ok" furnished apt in palermo. I want to...spent alot of time volunteering at orphanages and with street chidren...

If you are sincere about volunteering at orphanages you might consider living "outside the box" (of Palermo or even BA).

Cordoba is a good place for this type of service:

http://www.projects-abroad.org/projects/care/argentina/?content=special-needs/

So is San Nicolas:

http://www.sunriseofargentina.org/_/About_The_Home.html

As is Mendoza (but this site is aimed at folks from the UK):

http://changingworlds.co.uk/default.aspx?cid=1891

You might also reconsider joining the army to get "paid training" in IT (as well as killing people) and join the Peace Corps instead.

Sleuth said:

- I think making $30,000 a year off of $120,000 is very realistic considering I have made over $12,000 (short term trading and dividends) the last two years off of $45,000...in fact I was low balling just in case. All I aim for, right now, is atleast %1 return per trade on at least 5-7 trades per week. And Ill make more trades when I have more money to trade with. But i guess what Ive done week after week for the past 2 years isnt possible.

anyway this is all beside the point…I shouldn’t even have had mentioned it. Instead I should have asked if its possible to live pretty nicely on 30000 usd a year in BA?

Back