Question about rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
well - depends on the length of the stay. if it's for a week, i would be shocked if they charge a 1000 reservation hold.

as far as security deposit - if they're nice apts - i don't see anything wrong with it. And again, with longer term (1 month +), I've always paid at least the full month for deposit.

Tenants can be pretty awful - I don't ever question a landlord protecting his property. A friend of mine rents his beautiful apts and people have done some absolutely horrible things (wrote all over the white leather sofa with pen, spilled pain, broken things, left without paying bills, etc).

The bottom line is no owner anywhere in the world is going to let his or her high quality apartment be secured with a $ 300 USD damage deposit, that's just crazy. Usually it is one months rent if it is a quality place, though this can sometimes be negotiated down.

I own multiple properties here and abroad and $ 300 USD wouldn't even cover the monthly utilities in one of my apartments, let alone any possible damages.

Many argentines find that their apartments get ruined by renting to usa students and others who turn their lovely recoleta apartment into a sex holiday pad . There have been many complaints to consorcios about this so you wonder why anyone would continue this risky business.

1000 dollar deposit is too little for the damage that they do.

lastlucy said:
Ok so I just moved today to buenos aires and I was jazzed about the sweet apartment that i though ihad found, but was very disappointed when i arrived, I am just wondering how every one else found their flat/apartment and how much they are paying. I only signed a one month lease... which i hope to find a way out of! I pay $700 now, but I am not very satisfied with my place. Any advice or tips would be great, I plan on looking for a new place ASAP.

I found my apartment through a friend in the U.S. she new the owner.

I own a 1 bedroom furnished apartment to rent in the Botanico area (just one block form it). U$S 600/mo.
CAP
[email protected]

AlexfromLA said:
The bottom line is no owner anywhere in the world is going to let his or her high quality apartment be secured with a $ 300 USD damage deposit, that's just crazy. Usually it is one months rent if it is a quality place, though this can sometimes be negotiated down.

I own multiple properties here and abroad and $ 300 USD wouldn't even cover the monthly utilities in one of my apartments, let alone any possible damages.

My original comment about the u$s 1000 desposit was about a particular apartment, not everyone has a high quality apartment with u$s 300+ in utilites a month. My modest 2 bedroom apartment in Palermo only has a u$s300 deposit, and no one has had their deposit retained in the last 4 years.

The last time I used www.apartmentsinba.com for a rental, they asked for a credit card for the damage deposit/reservation deposit but, as it says on their web page, they don't run it. The only hold it in case the reservation is not fulfilled or their is some damage. In effect they charge no deposit, so it seems. Check out the web page for yourself.

As for a full month of rent serving as the security deposit, I've come to find that it depends on where you are. I've had extremely nice apartments for $250-300 in Colorado and Texas. But in Cali and NY, I've noticed that a month's rent is pretty standard--even if the place isn't as nice or expnsive as the places in Colorado and Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back