Question About Rentista Visa Dni Renewal

Fettucini

Registered
Anyone know if you're supposed to get a new DNI card when you renew your visa?
I renewed my rentista visa a few months back but my friend who works at the dni office says there's no new card there for me. Problem is it says on the back that it's expired, and I need to drive my car across the border to Uruguay next week so don't want to run into problems.. Only thing I have is a stamp in my passport showing a visa extension for a year.

Yes, you do need a new DNI, but it doesn't come automatically. You have to apply for it. As I recall, when I did it in March, I had to ask for a turn online just to make the application. The wait for appointment was several weeks. Then, after I filed the application, they said I would get the new DNI in the mail in less than 30 days. I got it in about 70 days.

There is an expiration date on the back of your DNI. Even though you have the visa, which allows you to stay in the country beyond the 90 day tourist limit, you have to renew your DNI EVERY YEAR, for three years. This means the appointment with immigration, showing of all the documents, police check here, etc. every year for years one, two and three. At the END of year three you apply for your PERMANANENT DNI ( residency). After that you don't have to do anything more. But I don't know what happens if you neglect to renew your Temporary DNI and it has expired ...minimally it will push back the time you'll have to wait to becomo permanent. It may also cause some other problems, such as with bank accounts if you have them. However I don't think (and this is just my unprofessional opinion) you'll have any problem leaving or entering the country as you already have your passport stamped and that is all you need to come and go!

Hi Florence, do you know where and how i can apply for a new dni card? Think it's different for foreigners. Tried to get a turno on a website and it didnt accept my DNI..
Yes, you do need a new DNI, but it doesn't come automatically. You have to apply for it. As I recall, when I did it in March, I had to ask for a turn online just to make the application. The wait for appointment was several weeks. Then, after I filed the application, they said I would get the new DNI in the mail in less than 30 days. I got it in about 70 days.

Hola Fettucini,
Here is the webpage from Migraciones with the info you need. It says you do need a turn in advance and says to click the link to get one. As I recall, that is what I did.

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/?dni_extranjeros

​I just clicked through it up to the point it wanted my info. Remember to keep clicking the choice that says cambio o prorroga of DNI and not the one that says "nuevo ejemplo" That one means that you want just want a copy of your old one and what you need is an updated one. There is a page in the request for turns that asks for your passport number and your DNI number (if you have one). I would try entering yours, but if your dni is already expired, it might mot accept it, so then try it without putting in any dni.. Hope this helps.

I have to renew my rentista visa for the first time.

It was hinted at on this thread that the process is the same as original application. Correct?

With FBI report and fingerprints from home country, in my case USA?

I was hoping the renewal process would be less onerous.

Does anyone know when you can start this if expiration is in September?

Thanks.

I have to renew my rentista visa for the first time.

It was hinted at on this thread that the process is the same as original application. Correct?

With FBI report and fingerprints from home country, in my case USA?

Does anyone know when you can start this if expiration is in September?

You can begin the process of renewing your visa rentista up to 60 days before the expiration date.

You don't need a new FBI report, just a new Argentine report.

You will have to supply updated "proof" of your foreign income.

Also bring photocopies of every page of your passport and both side of your DNI.

Question on this if I may. Is it a 3-year timeline before you're eligible for permanent residency? I had read elsewhere it was only 2 years, thn you were eligible for permanent. Is that absolutely wrong? Or are there some circumstances in which 2 years of temporary residency makes one eligible for permanent?
Thanks

Even though you have the visa, which allows you to stay in the country beyond the 90 day tourist limit, you have to renew your DNI EVERY YEAR, for three years. This means the appointment with immigration, showing of all the documents, police check here, etc. every year for years one, two and three. At the END of year three you apply for your PERMANANENT DNI

Question on this if I may. Is it a 3-year timeline before you're eligible for permanent residency? I had read elsewhere it was only 2 years, thn you were eligible for permanent. Is that absolutely wrong? Or are there some circumstances in which 2 years of temporary residency makes one eligible for permanent?
Thanks

Permanent residency is granted by migraciones on the third renewal, so you do have to have temporary residency for three years before it can become permanent. Even then, the DNI is not "permanent " as it will expire in fifteen years. At that point you will have to renew the DNI, but you won't have to return to migraciones. Nonetheless, in order to maintain permanent residency you have to set foot on Argentine soil at least once every two years.

There is a two year "residency" requirement for citizenship and you can begin the process one year after you first set foot on Argentine soil for the first time. That is the date your Argentine residency begins (as far as getting citizenship is concerned). Citizenship is obtained through the federal court system and migraciones has nothing to do with it. A DNI is not required. That being said, if you apply for citizenship without a DNI you will need a lawyer.

PS: In order to be able to renew temporary residency, you must (physically) be in Argentina at least six months of the year (in the aggregate).

PS2: A continuous physical presence in Argentina is not required to fulfill the two year residency requirement for citizenship.

Back