Question for Americans:Voting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Folks,

Hope I can get some answers here, as I've already checked out the resources on the web.

VOTING IN THE PRIMARIES

Does anybody have any experience with this? I'm researching Absentee Ballots and such but I keep on getting conflicting information. Do I qualify as an "overseas citizen"? It's almost as if they're intentionally making it hard for more people to vote . . .

I'm from New York City and I have checked out the New York State primary info on the web, but I can't seem to pinpoint exactly what I need to know. I will be here in BsAs . . . still traveling . . . from now throughout the primary voting season. Do I need to manually hand in my request for an absentee ballot in person? Would the embassy here in BsAs help me?

Thank you,
Vasu

My application is ready to print, sign, and then mail with a friend returning in December to the USA, where it can be mailed without postage. I want to be registered so that I can vote in the Illinois primary election on March 15, 2016.
I printed and signed my FEDERAL POST CARD APPLICATION last week and gave it to a friend who returned to the USA on the weekend. She will mail it for me AFTER January 4, 2016, so it will be accepted by the Illinois County. I requested ballots by email for the Illinois primary election in March and the general election in November.

Every state has an election board that maintains a website for its voters. Check your state's site to see what is required and when you need request your absentee ballot for the primary election.

I want to urge all US citizens living in Argentina to register to vote in the 2016 elections. Voter turnout is terrible in the US for one reason - apathy. And apathy doesn't effect change. The country needs to continue as a democracy. The only way that will happen is when its citizens exercise their right to vote.

By the way, Argentines from 16-70 years are obligated to vote in elections.

Many Americans that have the right to vote don't bother; many who want to vote are refused that right. I've exercised my right to vote for 50 years.

Voter turnout is terrible in the US for one reason: realism. Voters rightly understand that their participation in the current political system has no value if they are not big time financial contributors.

Kudos to your boy Bernie for saying it's not about an election, but rather about building a grassroots movement.

Hey Folks,

Hope I can get some answers here, as I've already checked out the resources on the web.

VOTING IN THE PRIMARIES

Does anybody have any experience with this? I'm researching Absentee Ballots and such but I keep on getting conflicting information. Do I qualify as an "overseas citizen"? It's almost as if they're intentionally making it hard for more people to vote . . .

I'm from New York City and I have checked out the New York State primary info on the web, but I can't seem to pinpoint exactly what I need to know. I will be here in BsAs . . . still traveling . . . from now throughout the primary voting season. Do I need to manually hand in my request for an absentee ballot in person? Would the embassy here in BsAs help me?

Thank you,
Vasu

You qualify as US CITIZEN RESIDING OUTSIDE THE US TEMPORARILY.

Use this website to complete the application and request your absentee ballot by email which you then return to your county board of elections. You must complete, sign and mail the application to the county where you are registered in NYC.

https://www.overseasvotefoundation.org/vote/home.htm

When voter turnout is low, the establishment wins elections. The only way to get our democracy back is to get out the vote. That is what the grassroots movement is all about. It is a right of every citizen to vote. If we don't, we shouldn't complain about the results.

"when voter turnout is low the establishment wins elections"

As opposed to when they haven't won elections? And no the "grassroots movement" is not about getting out the vote, as is clearly demonstrated by Sanders' repeated references to FDR. When FDR embarked upon the New Deal he himself said that he couldn't do anything on his own; he needed progressive movements to "force his hand".

Voting can be an important democratic tool, but it is neither the beginning nor the end of democracy. One would think progressives would have learned this lesson from the debacle of supporting Obama (for those who did), who proceeded to be one of the most reactionary presidents in US history. Yet there still seems to be this fantasy that if we just vote for the "right" people, we can sit back for 4 years and things will be hunky-dory. History suggests otherwise.

Lastly, w/r/t "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]If we don't, we shouldn't complain about the results[/background]": Recent Argentine history shows why this argument is total bollocks. De la Rúa was elected in 1999 with less than 20% of the population voting for him, mainly because of a high portion of no-shows and blank ballots. Thus, going into his mandate, he knew he had very little popular support. When the streets erupted in protest against his economic plans, he was easily forced out of office because of his scant mandate, leading to Argentines finally taking control of their own political destiny. If the voters in that election would have followed your advice, either Duhalde or DLR would have been elected with sizable mandates, and overthrowing them would have been significantly harder. Not voting speaks volumes too.

Voter turnout is terrible in the US for one reason: realism. Voters rightly understand that their participation in the current political system has no value if they are not big time financial contributors.

Kudos to your boy Bernie for saying it's not about an election, but rather about building a grassroots movement.
The ONLY WAY to win against "big time financial contributors" is to have an overwhelming voter turnout. A huge voter turnout also helps insure against fraud (i.e. fixed voting machines). VOTE

T/

NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL OVERSEAS VOTERS TO REGISTER AND REQUEST ABSENTEE BALLOTS

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/voting.html

Overseas Voting

All U.S. citizens can receive their blank ballots electronically. Depending on the state in which you are eligible to vote, you may get your ballot by email, fax, or internet download. To start, go to http://www.fvap.gov/ to complete a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), print and sign the form then return it to your local election office in the United States. We recommend overseas U.S. citizens get in the habit of completing FPCAs each January. You should include your email address on the form so it's easier for your election officials to reach you if there is a problem. If your state delivers ballots electronically by fax only, be sure to include your fax number. If you request electronic delivery and include your email address or fax number, you’ll receive your blank ballot 45 days before general and mid-term elections and generally 30 days before special, primary, and run-off elections for federal offices. Most states now have voter registration verification websites, and many offer a means of tracking the status of your registration and ballot.

States are no longer required to automatically send ballots to voters for an entire election cycle so everyone who wants to vote in U.S. elections from overseas should send in a new Federal Post Card Application in January of each year.

----------------------------------------

Energizing Young Voters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hMue08HrAA

Voter registration and absentee ballots: https://www.fvap.gov/citizen-voter/registration-ballots

The Lake County Clerk's office in Illinois received my federal post card application last week and advised that I'll be receiving my voting materials for the Illinois primary at the end of January for the March 15 primary election.

Don't delay in filing yours. This is an important election for all of us living abroad.

I'm a registered voter in WA and I vote in all the elections. Not because my vote matters in presidential contests but because it matters in in down ballot races. It may be true that for non swing state voters you don't pick the president but there is always some local tea party douche trying to blow up the government

Trump seems to have that nailed down and frankly I am getting to point where I am embarrassed to tell people I am American.

Pensador, don't be too embarrassed.
We'll send Jeremy Corbyn stateside, then you'll know what embarrassed really means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back