Question for expats from South Africa

CarverFan said:
Davonz, there is violent crime here too. One of the baexpat members Davidglen77 posted a youtube video link to the armed robbery that took place at his store...did you personally know anyone in Cape Town who was a victim of violent crime?

I am totally aware of voilent crime in BSAS - the latest thing being whole apartment buildings being held up (people always have US$ at home), but i dont think its as bad as south aftrica yet. Maybe petty crime in worse in BSAS, but not murders etc..

I cant recall knowing anyone personally in capetown who was a victom of violent crime.

One thing i will say in favour of capetown, is that buildings etc are designed with security in mind, and have good security. In my apt complex we had security guards at the front gate, then there was a security gate to the stair way for the apt (4 apts were on the stair way), than a security door to my apt. No chance of anyone breaking into my apartment while i was asleep !!!

Capetown is a very pretty city too, with the coast (the water is freezing though) infront, tabletop mountain in back, and heaps of out doors stuff to do on the cities door step - and vineyards. There is plently of smaller coastal towns that seemed safe to me, and would be a good option to live.

I found living in capetown alot easier than BSAS, just the little things like opening a bank account was way easier, supermarkets had better selection of food, better selection of restaurants etc.

However when i was there there was rolling power supply problems, especially between 6pm and 8pm when everyone was cooking dinner. If there was a power cut it didnt last for long though, and i cant remember it being off after 8pm.

It has been 5 years since i was there last, so things may have changed heaps in that time.
But if you are thinking of going - go, what have you to lose except for the price of a plane ticket.

Hi there,

Cape Town is wonderful place, good vibe, good quality lifestyle and so close too nature (which I miss so much in BsAs)

Is it more dangerous? yes.
But it is a joke that Cape Town was named one of the most dangerous cities. Johannesburg probably yes, but CT _ no.

You need to keep your wits about you, and thats an unfortunate reality, but the food is good, incredible wine, beautiful city, great outdoors..

and MUUUUUUCH cheaper than BsAs! :) :) :)
- think we might move down there when our stint in BsAs is up...

please let me know if you have any more specific questions, don't think too many south africans in BsAs at the moment? I could be wrong tho..

good luck.

I have to agree as well. Cape Town is a beautiful place. The seafood, wines, the city, sights and lifestyle are wonderful. Our first visit in 2010 was an eye opener. We loved it so much we talked right away about coming back again for longer time. We are now going back in a few weeks for another visit.

Unfortunately we've only visited and not lived there so I can't advise as far as how much more dangerous it is than BA. You can see high security systems in many residences everywhere, but we did not witness any crime nor felt unsafe during our short visit there.

Anyways, we all know experiencing a place through the eyes of a tourist is very different from the reality of those who live there. While Cape Town is paradise in many aspects when compared to BA, one should not ignore the fact of the numbers. BA may have a lot of crime, but violent crimes in S.A. cities is not something new either. Whether this affects expats or tourists directly or not is another question (e.g., it may be mostly drug trade related like it is for many of those cities listed).

Being from SA, I must honestly say that BsAs is much safer. But Cape Town is one of those cities that might just be worth the risk ;)

Thanks for your input Mienke! 2GuysInPM, we got back last week from Cape Town. The check-in staff at Ezeiza, when they saw our kids' Argentine passports, asked if we had our yellow fever certificates, which we hadn't. At CT airport we used the kids British passports instead of Argentine ones and so were not asked for certificates, however the government now requires yellow fever vaccines for those coming from Argentina. So if either of you has Argentine passport, it may be an issue.

Thanks. They've been requiring YF vaccines for a while (India does as well) for anyone flying from Argentina (regardless of passport). We got ours free a few years back here in Puerto Madero (Huergo & Belgrano) for our trip to India, which we then used to travel Africa. Our local friends (that are going with us to Cape Town) also got theirs last month.

Can't wait to get back there and enjoy some great seafood! :)

I am South African. I have lived 5 years in Johannesburg, 10 years in Durban and 3 years in Cape Town. I too am extremely suprised that Johannesburg was rated below other South African cities.
I do think that Buenos Aires is safer than Cape Town in that you probably arent going to be raped or murdered but I think that SA is a lot safer now than it was in the past. During the 90s it was more common for crazy stuff to happen and I know people who were violently assaulted but I dont know anyone that has happened to in the last 10 years or so. I go back to South Africa every year - my close family still lives there as do all of my friends and I love it and miss it a lot. Its a gorgeous country full or warm and friendly people. Of course you have to be careful especially at night and you cant walk everywhere like you can here but no place is perfect and as a previous poster said CT might be the city that would be worth taking a risk for.

Cape Town not the same as the rest of south africa. South Africa = more violent crime. BA = more petty crime.... go see for yourself how you feel! I stayed in Sea Point with a local, no probs. Beautiful BEAUTIFUL city!!!

Back