Questions for those married to an Argentine citizen.

BellaLuna

Registered
Thanks a lot to Quilombo, MarshallE, GMan_27, and Lanick for replying to my previous post. Much appreciated.

I don't know if things have changed since you guys had to go through the process, and personal circumstances may differ quite a bit, still, you might be able to offer some guidance.

When I contacted the consulate, I was told that it would be easier to just apply in CABA so that's what we did, last January.

I was born in Argentina, but lived in North America most of my life, and married a Canadian-American citizen almost 40 years ago. I hold those citizenships, as well. We've been living in CABA almost a year, my husband applied for permanent residency in December 2023 at the Hipólito Yrigoyen immigration building. We have provided every document (with apostille and official translation) immigration has asked for. Back in April, we were asked to upload some of the documents we had already uploaded in February. BTW, we own a property in CABA, our home, which we purchased last March.

The family reunification process has been slow. There have been three extensions to my husband's precaria and, yesterday, he received an email asking him to upload *in one .pdf file* (this is the first time they ask to present everything in one file) the following:

- Marriage certificate (which we had already presented twice) together with my DNI (which they also have on file).
- My passport, showing the last time I entered the country (which they also have on file).
- Proof of address, which I think they have on file.
- Financial solvency sworn statement (declaración jurada). We are retired, but living off our savings (SS kicks in early next year).

Does that sound right to you? To me, it seems as if my husband's file were in some sort of loop?

The page on the immigration site still shows this:

immig.jpeg

Yesterday I spent 78 minutes on the immigration chat. The girl there was very nice, but she couldn't tell me how much income it is required for family reunification. I couldn't find that info anywhere, and she had no idea. She said, "I know the Russians have to have a monthly income of 1.340.000 pesos." In our case, though, she had no idea.

So we went downtown this morning to speak with an agent in person. She said to write a letter explaining the situation (that we live off savings and that SS checks will start coming in a few months) together with the page from SS where it says how much my husband will collect monthly.

I do have a bank account here, but we will have the SS checks go to our US account (we might choose to keep WU instead of transferring money to my AR bank).

Were you guys asked to present an income declaración jurada? How does one obtain that?

Thanks for your time and help.

As a spouse of an Argentinian citizen, your husband can apply for permanent residency and also citizenship. I was advised my citizenship would be faster if I had a DNI number, so I first worked on my perm. res. and applied for citizenship a year later.
I wasn't asked for proof of income for perm. residency, only for citizenship. It was very informal, though. They just had me sign a declaración jurada based on what I had verbally declared about my work and source of income (I wasn't working in Argentina at the time).

The DNI was very quick to arrive, maybe 3 months. The precaria was even quicker, maybe 3 weeks and it was just a PDF.

The citizenship process took 1.5 years, though, and was more burdensome, document-wise. We were living in the Province at the time, but I have always heard that in the Capital everything is faster. Back then, the process was entirely on paper, no digital uploading of anything.

Hi, RinoG.
When you say "It was very informal, though. They just had me sign a declaración jurada based on what I had verbally declared about my work and source of income," do you mean that you just wrote in a letter that you were working abroad (or living off savings), signed that letter and uploaded it?
Did you disclose what your income was?

Thanks.

It was done in person. I had an interview 1-to-1 with the staff in the court and they asked me questions. I explained my situation, they wrote a report (DDJJ) and had me sign it.

Back