Quick Language Tips

Bron

Registered
Here are a couple quick things I've learned here that have made my life a lot easier. I'd like to share them with you.

1. When you approach a stranger, shop owner, or any kind of employee to ask them something, like directions, what time it is, or the price of something, they'll probably be really helpful. But in my experience, simply asking the question is not enough to demand their attention.

You have to preface your question, by first asking if you can ask a question. For example, before asking anything of an Argentine, I first say "una pregunta...puede ser?" Or even better is "te puedo hacer una pregunta?" If you say that, they'll understand you much better, and you'll immediately win some degree of rapport. I think this comes from the fact that conversation (often about nothing at all) is such an important part of Porteño culture. So they don't want a quick question-answer interchange; they'd much prefer a mini-conversation. Try it out.

2. In Argentine Castellano, I have NEVER heard anybody use the past perfect tense. Ie, he comido, has ido, ha comprado. They only use the preterite tense, like comí empanadas salteñas, or nunca fui a Córdoba, etc. Rather than say I have eaten empanadas (at any time in my life) they say I ate empanadas. Or instead of saying I've never been to Peru they say I never went to Peru. I think managing this correctly will help set you apart from other foreigners.

3. Before entering somebody's home or bedroom, they always seem to say "permiso," even when they know you well. I'm not sure why they do this, but I do it too.

and

4. When you're giving someone a besito (a guy or girl), flippin' reach out with your right arm and establish some arm to shoulder contact before "going in." It makes things muuuuch smoother.

Lastly,

if you have nothing to do on Saturday, April 12, come to my band show at El Sol Hostel. I think you'll like it :) 9:30pm start, free entry, Marcelo t. de alvear 1590, esq. montevideo. come introduce yourself!

Back