Quick Prescription

Jerbo

Registered
I likely have strep throat. I have had it before.

Are there drop-in clinics or medical centers where I can get looked at quickly and most likely, given a simple prescription for penicillin?

I live in Microcentro.

Please, no parental-type admonishments.

Go to any pharmacy and ask for Amoxicilina 500 milligrams and get enough for 7 days and take it 3 times a day, every eight hours. You don't need a prescription and this is the number one indicated medication for strep throat. If you are allergic to penicillin, ask for cephalosporina. The in office quick strep tests are not always conclusive, so your best bet is just to treat it if you feel that's what it is.

Go to any pharmacy and ask for Amoxicilina 500 milligrams and get enough for 7 days and take it 3 times a day, every eight hours. You don't need a prescription and this is the number one indicated medication for strep throat. If you are allergic to penicillin, ask for cephalosporina. The in office quick strep tests are not always conclusive, so your best bet is just to treat it if you feel that's what it is.

(I'm not a medical professional but) Unnecessary and incorrect usage of antibiotics has resulted in antibiotic-resistant "superbugs". PLEASE see an MD or at least do thorough Internet research on the correct usage of antibiotics.

Bob

I am a medical professional and the in-office strep tests are not reliable. Therefore if they test positive doctors prescribe amoxicillin and if they test negative they don't and 50% of the time people come back with severe strep that should have been treated in the first place. For those who tested positive, 50% of the time the test was inaccurate. Therefore someone was treated with Amoxicillin anyway. BTW, the op said they'd had strep before and identified the symptoms. Internet searches are the bane of all MD's. Medical professionals wish that people would stop searching the internet for every little sign and symptom!

Back