Quick Question - Applying For Residence

NYCExpat

Registered
Has anyone recently applied for residence? I'm trying to set-up the appt. online but the website is not taking my tramite # (which I just received last week). The website says the number in not valid.

My question is do I need an online appt. or can I just go to migraciones and submit my documents?

Tim

The website is often screwed up and doesn't work properly, or it somehow takes the data in that system time to catch up with others. Keep trying and it will probably work at some point.

You need the appointment, I am almost certain you can't just show up.

I used a lawyer to to do my process, others have mentioned using a gestor service, both of which do the things (different providers to differing degrees) for you that you don't have to do personally and help walk you through and/or accompany you to do the things that you have to do personally.

I've heard some say it can be an easy process and you should do it all yourself, and I've personally known the process (through myself and my family) to often be difficult and time-consuming, depending on luck and circumstance.

I had the same problem with their website so I went to Migraciones to get an appointment. After three different attempts, the immigration employee got me my appointment. When I came back for the appointment, they told me I didn't need the appointment and that I sholud have gotten in the line for Prorrogas and during the prorroga process, tell them that I wanted a Cambio de Categoria to Residencia Permanente. Which I did and am now waiting for my document. Good luck to you!

Thanks to all for the replies. I did visit migraciones today and they gave me an appt for next week. Only took me 2 hours...:(. I'll provide an update with my experiences with the process.

BubbasSmokinBarbecue said:
I had the same problem with their website so I went to Migraciones to get an appointment. After three different attempts, the immigration employee got me my appointment. When I came back for the appointment, they told me I didn't need the appointment and that I sholud have gotten in the line for Prorrogas and during the prorroga process, tell them that I wanted a Cambio de Categoria to Residencia Permanente. Which I did and am now waiting for my document. Good luck to you!

We're talking apples and oranges here.

An appointment is required to appy for a new visa and you have to have the penales antecendents report to make the on line appointment...even when the website is working.

In order to "renew" a visa (prorroga de permenencia) or request a cambio de categoria from temporary to permanent no appointment is required, but you may also need a new penales antecedentes report (I did when I requested the cambio).

Back