Rainstorms in BA- love them or hate them?

KevinK said:
There are many parts of this city/suburbs outside the expat bubble that lose power for days or just have it cut for a few hours every day and after every big rainstorm/flood coming home and finding you place flooded or you food ruined as no power ...people do tend to freak out a bit

KevinK got it in one. When I lived in Belgrano, on a high floor, it was lovely to watch. Now that I'm out of the city - rain & hail = expensive damage to the cars, no power (the other night, we cooked and had dinner by candle which is a lot more terrifying than romantic) we're not on a paved road so it can be impossible to get out of the property until it dries a little. So no, rain is not as fun as it used to be and while I don't "freak out", I do get a little worried every time a storm comes.

So cat pee after storms, dog shit before.

I guess we won't ever have anyone waxing lyrical about the aroma of Buenos Aires, whatever it's other attractions...

I actually find the air very fresh after a rain storm, pretty much the only time! Then again, I don't live anywhere near the cat havens like Botanico or the Recoleta cemetary...

I love them, but not when I'm caught out on the motorbike, but then if I can find a bridge to huddle under with the other bikers, it's not so bad.
We live in the sticks too and I take precautions to unplug and isolate sensitive kit.
A massive storm back in Oct 06 produced a thunderbolt so effing loud and bright that we almost got thrown out of bed. It blew almost everything in the house.
That was in Olivos and the same strike was seen and felt as far as Ezeiza.
BA is a convergence zone for warm and cold air, hence the titanic struggle of the two masses.

KevinK said:
There are many parts of this city/suburbs outside the expat bubble that lose power for days or just have it cut for a few hours every day and after every big rainstorm/flood coming home and finding you place flooded or you food ruined as no power ...people do tend to freak out a bit

Yop... Spent 4 days here with no electricity, no water (ended up buying a power generator).
Worst part is not having water (and I live alone... Once I got my generator I went to help neighbouring families : a family with 4 kids didn't have water for 3 days).
I went to the Edenor office and made a quite big scandal (I even called the cops, argued with the security, talked with the supervisor). Also, some people living in my area set up some piquetes on the roads to ask for help (that's dumb imho). El que no llora, no mama (Argentinean say).

My three neighbour's houses got hit by falling trees (not mine... My karma tank must be full).

tempete1.jpg

tempete9.jpg

tempete8.jpg

tempete7.jpg

Wow - scary pics and glad you are okay!

Where are you living? I'm west of Cap Fed and we had trees down and no power for about 18 hours but not nearly as bad as you had it!

citygirl said:
Wow - scary pics and glad you are okay!

Where are you living? I'm west of Cap Fed and we had trees down and no power for about 18 hours but not nearly as bad as you had it!

Hi Citygirl, hoping your juicio laboral went ok.
I live North, 10 kms South of Pilar (nearby Del Viso).
Here it has been quite hectic with many trees falling everywhere.

I was ok, problem is rather for families with many kids and no water, people with health issues, elderly people.

Nevertheless, considering all the damages, I consider we got lucky to get the electricity back after 4 days (I though it would last for a week if not more, hence my generator purchase).

I live in a gated community and oddly enough, the idea of making a group purchase of a generator never came to anyone's mind (30 or 40 houses buying a 4000$ generator does not cost much and that way it would be possible to have water, even during power outages).

For those living in a house : before buying a generator check if your bomba de agua is in trifasico or monofasico (bad surprises may arise :p)

Also, in nine months, we can expect a raise of newborn babies (once people don't have access to television anymore, they need to find some other occupation) !

Back