Rant: If you don't know how to make the drink, just tell me...

If you want a professional opinion on this subject ask a bartender or a fighter pilot. A dry martini is a dry martini in Manhattan New York, London Arkansas, Paris Idaho, Rome Georgia, St. Petersburg Florida, and El Rio Texas. Plus the other famous cities named the same.

I've have mostly mediocre to negative experiences ordering drinks here. It does seem like many bartenders are slinging drinks as a hobby. When I first got here I'd spend lots of time explaining how to make a certain drink. I now save time. I point to the bottle I want and then to a long straw.

We have stopped drinking Martini's out (except for a few places in Seattle), and just order wine. Why suffer with cheap gin, too much vermouth, or none, tiny, expensive, etc, etc. Tom makes the best martini's.
Nancy

...This happened to a friend's visiting husband in Madrid... "That's not what you want. The fact that this guy didn't even understand your order means he doesn't know how to make it, so if I were you I'd join in on the sake." So he did.

"When in Spain, drink sake as the Spanish do."

I think that I grew up hearing that line in my house... in Texas. :)

Back