Rat coming up the toilet! Common in Buenos Aires?

A carpincho? You got to be kidding!
I highly doubt it because of the size of these rodents. Not even a baby specimen could manage it!
I see them all the time swimming on the Delta when I visit San Pedro, Prov. of BA.
25 August 2021....video
Some accidents and the presence of these rodents (carpinchos) in urban areas sparked controversy in Nordelta,
in the Province of Buenos Aires.

Has anyone had this happen and is this common in Buenos Aires? If so, any tips on how to stop it from happening?
As common as it is in some neighborhoods in Paris, Madrid, San Francisco, NYC, Chicago, etc. The services of a fumigator.
23 April 2020
....Rats are the source of numerous diseases such as leptospirosis, bubonic plague, hantavirus and some caused by different parasites. "Three different species inhabit the city: Rattus norvegicus , R. rattus and Mus musculus ," says Olga Suárez, a CONICET researcher and director of the Urban Rodent Ecology laboratory at the UBA Faculty of Exact and Natural Sciences....
....The types of rats in the city

Rattus norvegicus, R. rattus and Mus musculus are the three species of commensal rodents present in the city of Buenos Aires.
Rattus norvegicus is the dominant species in riverside areas of the city, in parks and, in particular, in slums, since it is associated with environments with the presence of bodies of water, high vegetation cover and availability of land which it uses for dig their burrows.
Rattus rattus, adapted to climbing and frequently using difficult-to-access environments (walls, roofs, trees, climbing plants, vines, etc.) in the city, is more abundant in residential environments, with a higher proportion of tall buildings and with low availability of earth. Mus musculus is frequently found together with R. norvegicus in green spaces and parks, but its presence is also dominant in slums, where, unlike other rats, it lives mostly indoors.

As common as it is in some neighborhoods in Paris, Madrid, San Francisco, NYC, Chicago, etc. The services of a fumigator.
23 April 2020
....Rats are the source of numerous diseases such as leptospirosis, bubonic plague, hantavirus and some caused by different parasites. "Three different species inhabit the city: Rattus norvegicus , R. rattus and Mus musculus ," says Olga Suárez, a CONICET researcher and director of the Urban Rodent Ecology laboratory at the UBA Faculty of Exact and Natural Sciences....
....The types of rats in the city

Rattus norvegicus, R. rattus and Mus musculus are the three species of commensal rodents present in the city of Buenos Aires.
Rattus norvegicus is the dominant species in riverside areas of the city, in parks and, in particular, in slums, since it is associated with environments with the presence of bodies of water, high vegetation cover and availability of land which it uses for dig their burrows.
Rattus rattus, adapted to climbing and frequently using difficult-to-access environments (walls, roofs, trees, climbing plants, vines, etc.) in the city, is more abundant in residential environments, with a higher proportion of tall buildings and with low availability of earth. Mus musculus is frequently found together with R. norvegicus in green spaces and parks, but its presence is also dominant in slums, where, unlike other rats, it lives mostly indoors.
Thanks. Yes, rats are a given in any city. They are everywhere. My question is specific to them coming up toilets in Buenos Aires and whether it's a common occurrence here, perhaps the way plumbing systems are. We spoke with our plumber yesterday. He wasn't surprised. We are now looking into solutions like installing a one-way flap/valve on the sewer line so rats can't get in.

A house. The toilet the rat came through is on the ground floor. I wondered the same as we have another toilet upstairs. I wouldn't put it past a rat to climb up interior toilet pipes to higher floors! See the video in this article: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...im-up-your-toilet-and-it-gets-worse-than-that
Well this makes me feel less stressed being up in an apartment, but it's still very unsettling, can you or the landlord install some sort of one way flap like sump pumps have that block entrance and only permit water/waste to leave? I've seen a rat climb a story or two before but that was always outside.

I used to live basically on Florida Street, and let me tell you, people seriously underestimate the number of rats this city has.

During the pandemic when businesses could stay open whenever they wanted but couldn't have dine in customers I'd go to a kiosco at 3AM and it was a free for all; you'd see them scurry around like árboles approaching obvious tourists, often in literally the same spot. 12 hours later you'd be none the wiser, no obvious signs of them during the day.

This definitely is NOT common. I've owned several properties in Buenos Aires since 2002 and I've never heard of this happening so it's not common.

Reactions: Lex
Back