Re: Definition of a 'gato'

TatanBsAs

Registered
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
87
Likes
0
"bigbadwolf" said:
I find that most Argentine women, unlike their American counterparts, are mostly looking for a free ride, so to speak. Part of it is Latin culture where the male pays for everything, treats them like Goddesses and caters to their every whim. Ultimately it is the men who feed into this concept because they think they are going to get something out of it. Women in Argentina NEVER pay for anything and that is expected. My perception, particularly in my neighborhood (Recoleta) of women here is unfortunately very negative. Most of them look like whores or tranvestites and can offer nothing of value. Luckily I am gay so none of this matters one bit to me but I will say that when women here don't get the attention they think they rightfully deserve or get their way, they become very insolent and rude. As I always say, "I ain't buyin' what you're sellin'" and they don't like that since I am not under their "spell"....
Your assessment is correct, sir. The counterfeit currency Argentine women use is called "love." They seem to be "falling in love" all the time; perhaps it's just a coincidence but the men they "fall in love" with are invariably well-heeled and/or foreigners. Perhaps a cynical judgement.
A ustedes les vieron la cara.....
 

Fishface

Registered
Joined
Nov 18, 2006
Messages
163
Likes
1
"rmartinbuenosaires" said:
Luckily I am gay so none of this matters one bit to me but I will say that when women here don't get the attention they think they rightfully deserve or get their way, they become very insolent and rude. As I always say, "I ain't buyin' what you're sellin'" and they don't like that since I am not under their "spell"....
What? no gay gatos? who pays the rent?
Well at least gatos sound like more be fun to be with as oppose to their European and American counterparts.
Where do they get their 'gato-ness' from? their mothers, sisters & grandmothers?

 

rmartinbuenosaires

Registered
Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
170
Likes
13
No Fishface. Its very similar for men too. Once again, I am lucky in the sense that I am not interested in twenty-something kids who prey on older men for monetary favors in exchange for sex.Luckily and modestly, I am around 40, go to the gym everyday, considered attractive and am financially independent. However, there is a different problem with gay men here...it seems that the majority of them who are financially independent anyway are completely histerico, have serious identity issues and love to try and impress with their "important" family name, etc. EVERYONE in Buenos Aires seems to descend from a very influential family. Whatever. I am a descendent from an American President and I think I have never raised that issue ever. Who cares? It is completely superficial and I personally find, as do alot of other foreign gay men here, that there is absolutely no sexual energy here whatsoever. Completely different than Brazil, Italy or the U.S.
 

TatanBsAs

Registered
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
87
Likes
0
"rmartinbuenosaires" said:
No Fishface. Its very similar for men too. Once again, I am lucky in the sense that I am not interested in twenty-something kids who prey on older men for monetary favors in exchange for sex.
Luckily and modestly, I am around 40, go to the gym everyday, considered attractive and am financially independent. However, there is a different problem with gay men here...it seems that the majority of them who are financially independent anyway are completely histerico, have serious identity issues and love to try and impress with their "important" family name, etc. EVERYONE in Buenos Aires seems to descend from a very influential family. Whatever. I am a descendent from an American President and I think I have never raised that issue ever. Who cares? It is completely superficial and I personally find, as do alot of other foreign gay men here, that there is absolutely no sexual energy here whatsoever. Completely different than Brazil, Italy or the U.S.
"EVERYONE in Buenos Aires seems to descend from a very influential family. Whatever. I am a descendent from an American President and I think I have never raised that issue ever." YOU JUST DID.
Luckily and modestly, I am around 40, go to the gym everyday, considered attractive and am financially independent AND THEN EVERYBODY TALKS ABOUT ARGENTINE ARROGANCE.
Also, I would like to ask being that you are gay, how would you know what argentine women are like when they date? It does not make sense. For the record, If you are referring to argentine women when going out as friends, you have the wrong impression, usually everybody will split the bill evenly.

My question is what kind of crowd some of the expats are hanging out with.





Tatan

 

Granadaiscool

Registered
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Messages
544
Likes
0
"TatanBsAs" said:
My question is what kind of crowd some of the expats are hanging out with.
For the record, If you are referring to argentine women when going out as friends, you have the wrong impression, usually everybody will split the bill evenly.
Bad or poor crowd prolly because I´ll never have to pay the bill alone.I most of the time doing it as 20 peso is a lot less for me than it is for her

P.S. Why does quoting suck so much on this board?
 

rmartinbuenosaires

Registered
Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
170
Likes
13
My dear Tatan- 1. I only raised the issue about my background to raise my point and I said its "no big deal" didn't I? Its not bragging and its not arrogance about stating the facts....I am around 40 (statement). Go to the gym everyday (statement). I am financially independent (statement). By the looks I get on the street and by my own experience with people and what I am told, I am attractive (statement). Sorry, its just the way it is.
2. I DO KNOW how Argentine women are as I do have eyes and I do have friends and I am not stupid. I have lived here for over four years and think I have an idea of what I am talking about. I will say I have very little use for most women here in general. As I stated earlier, they have loud, obnoxious, penetrating voices and contribute mainly nothing to society or have any useful conversational skills other than fluffy bs. Two Argentine women talking (or yelling as it would be) sound like 20 in any other part of the world. Whats with the 70 year olds with the long, blonde hair to the butt (a la Susanna Jiminez or Moria Casan) dressed like a 25 year old whore? Its all a bit absurd. Tatan-- unless you can contribute something of value to contradict what I am saying, then there really is no point in commenting. I think you might see too much of yourself in my comments and the truth hurts a bit. Argentines do have a problem confronting reality and would NEVER admit they are wrong.
Lo siento y besos linda.
 

Mitscherman

Registered
Joined
Aug 4, 2007
Messages
84
Likes
2
"rmartinbuenosaires" said:
My dear Tatan- 1. I only raised the issue about my background to raise my point and I said its "no big deal" didn't I? Its not bragging and its not arrogance about stating the facts....I am around 40 (statement). Go to the gym everyday (statement). I am financially independent (statement). By the looks I get on the street and by my own experience with people and what I am told, I am attractive (statement). Sorry, its just the way it is.
2. I DO KNOW how Argentine women are as I do have eyes and I do have friends and I am not stupid. I have lived here for over four years and think I have an idea of what I am talking about. I will say I have very little use for most women here in general. As I stated earlier, they have loud, obnoxious, penetrating voices and contribute mainly nothing to society or have any useful conversational skills other than fluffy bs. Two Argentine women talking (or yelling as it would be) sound like 20 in any other part of the world. Whats with the 70 year olds with the long, blonde hair to the butt (a la Susanna Jiminez or Moria Casan) dressed like a 25 year old whore? Its all a bit absurd. Tatan-- unless you can contribute something of value to contradict what I am saying, then there really is no point in commenting. I think you might see too much of yourself in my comments and the truth hurts a bit. Argentines do have a problem confronting reality and would NEVER admit they are wrong.
Lo siento y besos linda.
I must say that some of these forum topics are really interesting. Take this one for example... I never heard the term Gato used before. Fox - yes! Catwoman - yes! But Gato? Apparently it is quite a common term. Would love to meet and learn the culture of same ;-)So, in reading the comments in this post I can offer my own opinion and experience. Ever heard the song "American Woman, Stay Away from Me-e!" by Lenny Kravitz? Well, that became my theme song several years ago after dating in California and Virginia. Seems like most American women are more interested in the job you have and the position you hold, the neighborhood you live in, the car you drive, and where you hang out than in any other society I have lived.Why? Because these are some of the first questions asked by potential dates in the United States whether you are introduced by a friend or meet in a bar. Polite talk always dancing around how much you are worth.So while they may be called Gatos here, in the USA they are called women.To break the stereotype I am reading here, let me tell you about my own experience with my Argentine girlfriend of 18 months... I am retired Navy. She is beautiful, wise, and calm. Not the hysterical blood sucking leech as so many expats seem to encounter.
She is a university graduate and a teacher at a local school. She has raised her two children on her own for the past 15 years. They are 15 and 16 respectively. She owns her own house and asks for nothing! When we go out, she often pays the bill.
So what does that make me? Am I the Gato here?My point is, you get what you look for.Cheers!


 

Ernie

Registered
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
128
Likes
0
Hey Mitscherman!Strange to learn that you are dating an Argentinian woman and she still hasn't mentioned that all the others are "Gatos" :))Also, as a Navy man it was your duty to choose the Guess Who's original "American Woman" over the popped-up, flamboyant version by Lenny Kravitz. I believed you when you quoted Nietzsche, man... :))Just kidding! CheersErnie
 

TatanBsAs

Registered
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
87
Likes
0
"rmartinbuenosaires" said:
My dear Tatan-
1. I only raised the issue about my background to raise my point and I said its "no big deal" didn't I? Its not bragging and its not arrogance about stating the facts....I am around 40 (statement). Go to the gym everyday (statement). I am financially independent (statement). By the looks I get on the street and by my own experience with people and what I am told, I am attractive (statement). Sorry, its just the way it is.

2. I DO KNOW how Argentine women are as I do have eyes and I do have friends and I am not stupid. I have lived here for over four years and think I have an idea of what I am talking about. I will say I have very little use for most women here in general. As I stated earlier, they have loud, obnoxious, penetrating voices and contribute mainly nothing to society or have any useful conversational skills other than fluffy bs. Two Argentine women talking (or yelling as it would be) sound like 20 in any other part of the world. Whats with the 70 year olds with the long, blonde hair to the butt (a la Susanna Jiminez or Moria Casan) dressed like a 25 year old whore? Its all a bit absurd.
Tatan-- unless you can contribute something of value to contradict what I am saying, then there really is no point in commenting. I think you might see too much of yourself in my comments and the truth hurts a bit. Argentines do have a problem confronting reality and would NEVER admit they are wrong.

Lo siento y besos linda.
You are arrogant (statement). Just the fact you say these things makes you arrogant and only makes evident a false modesty (statement). "Sorry it is the way it is?" Says who? The fact that you reinforce how attractive you are makes me wonder how secure, or insecure should I say, you are with your own looks.


When it comes to Argentine women, you don't have the faintest clue of anything. I am not very accustomed to using "people", as you referred to using women. And to be completely honest, argentine women are not loud; on the contrary they are kind of subdued due to the male mentality that still reigns down here (see I can accept criticism). I sense some resentment towards women, can it be that you are jealous of argentine women because they are getting what you can’t get down here -the sexual energy you refer to.


Freedom of speech maybe you’ve heard of it. So I will continue to place the posts. I don't see myself in your comments because: I am not argentine woman, I am not gay, I don’t use people, I am not arrogant.


Segui participando "Sexual Energy"

Tatan


 

rmartinbuenosaires

Registered
Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
170
Likes
13
Dear Tatan-Not that it matters...but I am not the least bit insecure. Your other email said I was arrogant and this one said I am insecure. Which is it? Quite the opposite. As far as being jealous of Argentine women.....why would I be jealous? After living here for over four years, I do not find Argentine men to be, on the whole, very interesting either. I am not usually interested in men, who's average height is 1.70, with bad haircuts, and who are only interested in parrilla and soccer. ABURRIDO...for the most part. There is a large amount of men here who claim to be married, have kids, straight, etc. and in reality are closeted gay men or bisexual who cannot except themselves for who they are and live their lives. It is quite sad. Luckily, there are a large number of foreigners here who are interesting and I will say, that although most Argentines are useless, I do have some friends who are Argentine and when you do meet those Argentines who are nice, they really are the nicest people anywhere in the world. They definitely keep me optimistic. If you are going to a garage sale, you gotta go through alot of trash to find the good stuff but its there if you look. Just takes awhile to find it.
Strangely...it seems that here, the so-called educated people, with family names and "supposed" wealth are the most obnoxious, rude and arrogant people here. Unfortunately these same people are the ones running this country. The poorer, more humble people are often the nicest and most sincere.
 
Top