Re: New & Indian Restaurants & Hurlie

bigbadwolf

Registered
There's one Indian restaurant close to, or just off, Calle Florida. Don't remember the name. It's pricey by local standards. The owners aren't Indian. But they do use real spices (and use this as a plausible pretext for their prices). Other then that, I can't think offhand of a single authentic Indian restaurant. As far as I know, the only thing "Indian" about the restaurants purporting to be so is their names (e.g. the Bangalore). Neither the owners nor the chefs are Indian. Hence neither is the cuisine.

buenos aires has no good indian restaurants except one that is remotely indian called Bangalore in the suburb of Retiro.

There is an excellent Indian Restaurant, owned by Indians.The food is excellent and they also serve excellent drinks. It is openes Monday to Saturday. Went with an Hindi Friend and told me it was just like home ,so I guess that says a lot.
The place is Mumbai and it is located on Paraguay 436 right between San Martin St. and Reconquista on the right hand side coming from Florida st. They also own Katmandu on Cordoba 3547 here they only serve dinner from Mon to Sat. The phone number is 963 3250/ 1122
Plz. let me know where they play hurlie here. Love it.
Welcome aboard to BAexpats!!!
RoseZ

There are not many indian restaurants, geez , I heard that Reina Kunti's food is not good and that the place is kind of dirty... not a good start!
Here is my small list:
MumbaiCentroParaguay 436

KatmandúAlmagroCórdoba, Av. 3547BengalCentroArenales 837

BangalorePalermoHumboldt 1416

Mumbai is the one (both Rosieposie and Nikad have named it). A general word of warning: beware of Bengali food, and beware of Bengali restaurants masquerading as Indian restuarants. Most "Indian" restaurants in England, for example, are really Bengali-owned and -operated. Bengalis have no notion of hygiene (most authentic Indian restaurants have acceptably clean kitchens), so a meal in a Bengali restuarant is likely to mean two or three days in the bog, if nothing worse.

"bigbadwolf" said:
Mumbai is the one (both Rosieposie and Nikad have named it). A general word of warning: beware of Bengali food, and beware of Bengali restaurants masquerading as Indian restuarants. Most "Indian" restaurants in England, for example, are really Bengali-owned and -operated. Bengalis have no notion of hygiene (most authentic Indian restaurants have acceptably clean kitchens), so a meal in a Bengali restuarant is likely to mean two or three days in the bog, if nothing worse.
Do you really think that down here we have bengali restaurants? I mean considering the really small indian population. Just in case, I will keep my eyes open and mouth alert!

"nikad" said:
Do you really think that down here we have bengali restaurants? I mean considering the really small indian population. Just in case, I will keep my eyes open and mouth alert!
In the next five years, if tourism continues to expand, it is a possibility. In some countries like England, there are way too many Indian restaurants (in fact about a decade ago, the "curry wars" broke out). Indians like running restaurants, shops, gasoline stations, and motels (if still in doubt, visit the USA): small-scale business where the capital requirements aren't prohibitive, and the tech level is low. Give it another few years. The constraint at the moment is the lack if Indian spices, and this is partly because of the lack of an Indian community. On the flip side, Argentinians can't cook if their lives depended on it, which provides grounds for optimism for any curry entrepreneur.

Back