Re: These prices are killing me - 2

Inflation sucks: wether you earn pesos or foreign currency, it always messes with your economy and makes you feel very insecure. This happens to both locals and expats. In my life I have learned here that you sometimes have to adjust, and then everything kinda goes back to normal ( because they devaluate, or thye change presidents or any other crazy stuff ). I am more concerned about all this now that I work with my husband and earn dollars, than I used to be when I was earning pesos ( if you have been here long enough, you would know that lo atamos con alambre ), but I cannot expect a raise from a foreign company just because there is inflation here. The thing is, if you earn pesos, wether you are an employee or run your business you should be fine, if you earn dollars, well, you will have to work some more to do the same things or adjust.

I have some sympathy with those who live here on a fixed income. I am old enough to remember 25% inflation in Britain in the 70s and that was bad enough.But in the four years I have been coming here prices seem to have trebled. For me it is still cheep but I can well understand those who complain, although I will argue with those who say that on a worldwide scale it is expensive.

"nikad" said:
Inflation sucks: whether you earn pesos or foreign currency, it always messes with your economy and makes you feel very insecure.
In Weimar Germany, a woman sat down and ordered a cup of coffee, which was going at 5,000 marks a cup. When she got up to pay the bill, it was 8,000 marks.
People being paid in US dollars are in for a hard time everywhere. The dollar decline seems to be inexorable and may even turn into a rout. Gold has now topped $850 an ounce (it was only $716 a couple of months ago). Countries whose currencies are tied to the dollar (such as Argentina) are seeing rapid inflation as the US is now (inadvertently) exporting inflation to such places.

I went to Colonia yesterday, and if its bad here,over there it is abysmal. Everybody tried to rip me off. One shop short changed me when I complained the price had gone up. In another restaurant the exchange rate fell 25% while I ate.
Think I will stick to this side of the water.

Uruguayuans are much more dishonest than Argentinans . They have no shame in ripping off tourists. On the coast they are now charging prices above Europe in many cases.
Punta Del Este is 200 dollars a day for the most basic person.

"ramon" said:
Uruguayuans are much more dishonest than Argentinans . They have no shame in ripping off tourists. On the coast they are now charging prices above Europe in many cases.
Punta Del Este is 200 dollars a day for the most basic person.
I don´t think Uruguayans are dishonest, it is just that Punta del Este is a city to show off, and if you want that you have to pay for it. If you like the beach, there are hundreds of places to go both in Uruguay and in Buenos Aires, that are a lot cheaper and still very nice. Also, most "touristy" places around the globe are more expensive expecially during the high seasons.

Question: When you complain about the prices is it because you converte the price into dollar, i.e. it the same thing cost more in dollar, or is it because the price is increasing in peso value? -s-

This is where the US dollar is going...http://www.small-business-goldmine.com/images/USD-1973.GIF

I can't remember getting ripped-off or having to pay other prices than locals than locals (i guess they like europeans better thank yanquís) except for Aerolineas Argentinas Demoradas and my house.
But I did get annoyed when my fav BA restaurant (Bereber in Palermo Viejo) raised the prices of my favourite (4 person dish) from 140 peso to 220 in half a year. When i asked the waitress why the price had risen so much she said "Well this is Argentina and prices rise a lot here". When I told here that I noticed that the other prices of the other dishes had only gone up 2-3 pesos, she kind of got a red face and walked away...
And the comments about the Barrio Norte bubble are true.

Back