Real estate questions

if you lease an apt in USD make sure you have in the lease specifically which peso rate is observed. These guys try to dick you any way they can.

Since one pays usd, how is the peso price determined. Which rate is accepted?? For example, what will be the “honest” peso rate in the sale deed today?
You pay in USD, CASH. so the peso rate is irrelevant, the prices are determined in USD and don't fluctuate when peso devaluates

You pay in USD, CASH. so the peso rate is irrelevant, the prices are determined in USD and don't fluctuate when peso devaluates
Also true what you say.

However, the sale deed is written in pesos..so that's why my question. And one sells, the capital gain tax is also in pesos.

Hi all, I’m an Argentinian-Canadian considering retiring in Argentina. I haven’t been in Argentina since I was 12 except for a few visits no more than 2 weeks long over the decades.

When I check houses or apartments, the prices seem too high for a Latin American country and most of them are in USD. I wouldn’t buy unless is a safe and quiet neighbourhood.

My question is: are those prices real or exaggerated and people settle for less? And how do you transfer the money if there are restrictions on foreign currency?

Is it better to pay in full or apply for a mortgage and invest the money? And what about buying on paper ( when building is still in plans)?
We are looking into five to six years from now, plan ahead, visit and rent to choose the barrio well, and either BA o a smaller city such as Mar del Plata
Any ideas are welcome
Good properties are not cheap. Location is the most important. Retiro, Recoleta, certasin streets-best one go from Avda. Sta.Fe towards the rivet which is Avda Kiberyafor or Avda Figueroa Alcorta all the way to North American Embassy. Thrse are top, than u have Belgrano, Villa Crespo, etc.
Use Argenprop or Zona Prop. There are several real estste sgencies eith bilingusl dales staff.Good luck.

Also true what you say.

However, the sale deed is written in pesos..so that's why my question. And one sells, the capital gain tax is also in pesos.
then it must be an official rate, can't be blue, can't even be solidario - logically, but logic in arg is an oxymoron...unless there is 'a dolar inmobiliario', just like 'dolar soja' hehe...anybody knows?

I am a Canadian, married to a Canadian-Argentine, and we plan to retire (part-time) in BsAs. We bought a place there a few years ago and will be moving there in 5ish years. When the timing is right to buy, then buy with CASH, getting cash there is an issue but can be done, be aware to make sure if you send down U$D that you can obtain it in U$D there and they do not transfer it to pesos on arrival. Be aware of high "expensas" (condo fees) in condo/apartment buildings. But the prices for those as well as an apartment or house are nothing compared to Canada. Property taxes and utilities are extremely low. And the overall cost of living in BA is so much lower than in Canada. The place to look is ZonaProp.com.ar for sure.. Good luck :)

I would be very surprised if a seller would accept the official rate in peso (ie you buy an apartment for 100k usd, then the seller obviously wants 12m pesos and not 7m pesos.).

Over the last few months there have barely been any transactions. If the market will open again, it will certainly be a buyer’s market (the question is, whether the prices will fall 10, 20 or 40%). But there will be plenty of objects on the market. What I would do: Look out for a seller who is interested to have the money wired to a foreign account. So instead of transferring the money here to Argentina (which will cost you a few percentage points in commission), you will have additional bargaining power. And there are plenty of house owners who want to have the money abroad.

I would be very surprised if a seller would accept the official rate in peso (ie you buy an apartment for 100k usd, then the seller obviously wants 12m pesos and not 7m pesos.).

Over the last few months there have barely been any transactions. If the market will open again, it will certainly be a buyer’s market (the question is, whether the prices will fall 10, 20 or 40%). But there will be plenty of objects on the market. What I would do: Look out for a seller who is interested to have the money wired to a foreign account. So instead of transferring the money here to Argentina (which will cost you a few percentage points in commission), you will have additional bargaining power. And there are plenty of house owners who want to have the money abroad.

As far as we know the transaction is carried in US$ cash, bill counting machines are provided and suitcases for the bills must be provided.BYOS..
A lady I met sold a property and was driving away with her son , 20 blocks later at a Traffic light was robbed at gun point.. 2017 in Recoleta.

As far as we know the transaction is carried in US$ cash, bill counting machines are provided and suitcases for the bills must be provided.BYOS..
A lady I met sold a property and was driving away with her son , 20 blocks later at a Traffic light was robbed at gun point.. 2017 in Recoleta.
That is what greed will get you - PIGS GET SLAUGHTERED!

No one trusts anyone or any company (With fairly good reason I may add.) and it encourages risky behavior ... ie large transactions in cash and storing the money instead of placing it on deposit.

I am guessing that the details of the transaction were leaked to the wrong ears and the robbery was planned in advance.

Back