Real lattes, cappuccinos, etc.

Thuraya

Registered
Does anyone know of cafes in BA (other than Starbucks) where they make American-style espresso drinks, as in lattes with latte art, foamy cappuccinos, americanos, etc.? I searched through some past threads but didn't find much. I have heard of Matilda's in San Telmo....anywhere else?

And just to clarify, all I mean when I say American-style is something that's similar to what you can find in an independent coffeehouse in the U.S., I don't want to start a debate about the origins of espresso or who is appropriating what.

Thanks!

Welcome to Buenos Aires! Matilda's was shut down, rumor has it, because the landlord wanted to raise the rent to an obscene amount and the owner couldn't pay it. The space, I believe, is still empty. Why wouldn't the landlord want to keep the tenant rather than make no money at all for months and months? Again, welcome to Buenos Aires. Don't expect a lot of decision making based on logic.

You will not find anything like what you can get at independent coffee houses in the U.S. I've stopped drinking coffee completely. It's actually pretty liberating to be able to get up and go in the morning without needing a stimulant, and it saves a ton of money not buying those pretty drinks. So that's one positive I've gotten out of something negative!

Note to the moderators: we need another section in the forums for people who have travelled thousands of miles round the globe to be in Buenos Aires but want everything to be the same as it was back home. Something like 'the guidebook' in Anne Tyler's Accidental Tourist should do.

I think mate is great and it's definitely my drink of choice at home. But in a city as vibrant as BA and as obsessed with starbucks, I'd be really surprised if there weren't one or two latte/cappuccino places...right?? How can there be a bunch of cupcake places and no lattes?

PhilipDT said:
What's wrong with Starbucks. Its not the best ever but it's pretty much the best in bsas

It has the best coffee in this city. I've not been to a place (yet) that has better coffee.

My only issue with Starbucks is that those who do go to Starbucks generally don't go for the coffee; it's just a place to be seen. The nasally voices of young girls who look like Clarissa Darling, laughing like idiots and calling each other "gorda" every two seconds is annoying. Thus, it's not exactly a pleasant place to be... Fortunately for me, I bought about 15 kilos of coffee in the U.S., so Starbucks visits will be quite diminished for the next several months.

I also don't love the Starbucks atmosphere, and the too-hot, not great quality espresso drinks. I would love an artisanal version of what they do.

Surely one of the trendy resto-cafes would produce something acceptable? Thinking La panaderia de Pablo, Oui Oui, El Malvon, Baraka, Le Ble, etc... or one of the boutique hotel restaurants (Home, Fierro). I drink plain coffee so I'm not really too knowledgeable on lattes and the like. I do like Starbucks myself however I make a point to go to some of the less-busy locations at off-peak hours... I value the comfy chairs and amazing air conditioning ;-)

I think the best coffee I have found in BA was at La bolsa de cafe... only went the once, to the location in Caballito, but there is another in Recoleta.

Back