Real lattes, cappuccinos, etc.

Argentines do not drink a lot of coffee in general, but I find the regular coffee that is served in most lunch rooms rather acceptable. I do not like Starbucks because the coffee is rather weak and it is ridiculously expensive ($20 for a cup of coffee... really?!?). I simply do not get why people in Argentina would pay about an hours worth of salary for a subpar coffee...

Just buy a Nespresso machine and make latte and capuccinos at home you will not be dissapointed and save a lot of money

We have an Italian espresso maker for the stove. I see them in stores all over town, they make great coffee.
Nancy

ReemsterCARP said:
Argentines do not drink a lot of coffee in general, but I find the regular coffee that is served in most lunch rooms rather acceptable. I do not like Starbucks because the coffee is rather weak and it is ridiculously expensive ($20 for a cup of coffee... really?!?). I simply do not get why people in Argentina would pay about an hours worth of salary for a subpar coffee...

Argentines don't drink a lot of coffee? Agree to disagree I guess.

Anyway starbucks isn't expensive, I'd say it's actually cheaper, I just paid 17 pesos for a small cup of mediocre coffee at a regular cafe in colegiales, for that money I get 2 to 3 times more coffee at Starbucks and it might even taste better.

Zissou said:
Surely one of the trendy resto-cafes would produce something acceptable? Thinking La panaderia de Pablo, Oui Oui, El Malvon, Baraka, Le Ble, etc... or one of the boutique hotel restaurants (Home, Fierro). I drink plain coffee so I'm not really too knowledgeable on lattes and the like. I do like Starbucks myself however I make a point to go to some of the less-busy locations at off-peak hours... I value the comfy chairs and amazing air conditioning ;-)

I think the best coffee I have found in BA was at La bolsa de cafe... only went the once, to the location in Caballito, but there is another in Recoleta.

Had coffee at oui oui, malvon, le ble, baraka and fierro hotel, nothing special really, oui oui's coffee is actually so bad it reminds me of burger king coffee.

ReemsterCARP said:
About 1 Kg a year, compared to 6Kgs of Mate...

Yeah 6kg of mate, also a lot of asado too, but that's not the point, I've heard of only 1 place in the city where they serve mate, coffee on the other hand is sold even at kioskos. Coffee is huge here and I'd say argentines drink a lot of it, it may be bad coffee, it may be expensive, but it's an intergral part of the culture here.

How do the facts miss the point? 75 other countries drink more coffee than Argentina does.

I thought that I alone would have put the U.S. in the top 10. :p

I'm taking about the city, not the whole country, unless specified all threads are about the city of BA, of course they won't be drinking coffee in say Formosa, the rest of the country lowers the national average by a lot, there is no way in hell a porteno average is 1 kg/year, I'm talking about the fact that there are countless cafes in every corner of this city, they have kioskos selling cups of coffee, people say vamos a tomar un cafe whenever they wanna meet up come on, my coworkers would give you a HJ for an extra cup of coffee, go look up that type of info on wikipedia.

zork said:
I'm taking about the city, not the whole country, unless specified all threads are about the city of BA, of course they won't be drinking coffee in say Formosa, the rest of the country lowers the national average by a lot, there is no way in hell a porteno average is 1 kg/year, I'm talking about the fact that there are countless cafes in every corner of this city, they have kioskos selling cups of coffee, people say vamos a tomar un cafe whenever they wanna meet up come on, my coworkers would give you a HJ for an extra cup of coffee, go look up that type of info on wikipedia.

Wonderful anecdotal experiences. But as I've pointed out, anecdotes aren't the same as facts.

When you order a cup of coffee here in Buenos Aires, do you ever look down at the cup to see how much is in it? You pay 20 pesos for a coffee in the U.S. (Starbucks), you're going to get the grande/venti, which is about 20 ounces of coffee. You order a 20 peso coffee at Martinez, and you're lucky if it's a quarter of that.

Yes, people here drink coffee. No one is disputing that. However, the facts show that they don't drink a lot, and when they do drink it, it's usually mixed with so much milk and sugar that you probably wouldn't even realize it's a coffee.

There are many o'things that I love about Argentina. Give me empanadas or a bottle of wine any day... but coffee? No, thanks.

Back