Real mexican food in ba?

Yep that convinces me we need Mexican Food (And obviously a few Margaritas!)....

Liam3494 said:
Yep that convinces me we need Mexican Food (And obviously a few Margaritas!)....

Well.... that's a whole different story! I've had some very good margaritas. The food just wasn't fantastic. The best of the strawberry margaritas is at Flor Aztec. The food: not memorable.

mini said:
Well.... that's a whole different story! I've had some very good margaritas. The food just wasn't fantastic. The best of the strawberry margaritas is at Flor Aztec. The food: not memorable.

Well, maybe a few Margaritas before trying the food is the answer - That way - Will we notice? :)

On a more serious note, I have been very surprised by the lack of spices of any kind that are readily available, even for home cooking. I was in the Wal Mart in Alto Avellaneda last week, and whilst I was able to buy stir fry produce, there were simply no sauces available whatsoever - Soy Sauce was the only Oriental type item I could find - even in their "Expat Aisle" ...

So, as per the original posting. I think any addition to the local cuisine would be welcomed by the ex-pat community, and I am sure that once introduced to good quality food, the portenos will enjoy.

A few margaritas before the food is definitely the answer!! They did have a hot (very hot) sauce actually. But it had no flavor. It was just hot.

The Jumbo does have a load more Asian products on their expat wall. I've never been to the WalMart so I can't compare. But it seemed reasonable to me.

The salsas were only OK at Ay Jalisco. I ordered the "chili relleno" and got a stuffed red bell pepper that had ground beef that was devoid of any flavor. My friend ordered the "tacos" and they were as bad as the ones I tried at California Burrito Company. For better mexican style food, try Mole Tacos at Cabildo 1368 in Belgrano. I tried the crispy tacos with beef and they were more like taquitos (rolled and deep fried) than the crispy tacos I grew up on in California. Fortunately I bought a tub of guac to dip 'em in and it was very good. Their website is here- http://moletacos.com.ar

bapak said:
I've been the restaurant busy my whole life. Been voted "best mexican food" in san diego, ca. Before. Does ba need a "good" real mexican restaurant. Is there a market? I know u have a few, with "california burrito co." coming to the forefront as per your postings. Is cbc busy all the time? Do argentines eat mexican food? Can you get the ingredients there and are they expensive? And then there's there very important fact how can you make any money seeing meals are kinda cheap in ba? You would have to get as much for a burrito as you would a meal! And, by your postings the choice of cuisines in ba does not sound great. All i hear is empanadas, steak, pizza and pasta! Every, and i mean every, country i've ever been to (and i'm older than dirt) kfc has been a huge success. But the "forum" tells me "not in argentina" cause they don't want to eat with their hands!! Some replys say chicken is expensive in argentina. that must be why! i'll bet if you called it "pollo fritto" they'd buy it. But, now that i think about it, a "pollo loco" style chicken bbq'd ala parrilla served with handmade tortillas(flour), beans, rice and salsa picante may be the way to go. Feedback please?

Im from SoCAL and decendent of a wnderful mexican cook..(my mom) and with those cridentials i must say that the only thing in BA that comes close is Maria felix 5000 block of guatemala and that just close, but wht can you do..?

Yes, we want and need more Mexican restaurants. The few that are here are always packed, so I think the locals do like Mexican cuisine.

Xalapa in Palermo is IMHO far and away the best Mexican place in the city.

Can somebody give me the directions of the good mexican places you recommend?

And don't they have mainly expat clientele?

BlahBlah said:
Can somebody give me the directions of the good mexican places you recommend?

And don't they have mainly expat clientele?

Xalapa is just a regular restaurant in Palermo, so the clientele is a mix of local people and tourists just like most places.

Here's Xalapa's entry on Google (they recently started heavily indexing local businesses - at last!)

Back