Real mobile phone geek needed :)

Tons of great info, Hellek.

Hellek said:
Most phones (including the Desire I think) don´t fully support the 3G bands here. Just the 2G.

Ah yes, now I remember reading something about this in the tech specs when the Nexus One came out - and purposely ignoring it, only to have it later bite me.

Hellek said:
You can´t buy Android apps in Argentina (only access those that are free). You can put an Australian chip in your phone though, and access the market via WiFi. This way you get access to the Australian version of the market.

This is something that always bothered me about Google - they think they're so clever by using IP geolocation "to deliver you a better experience." When in reality, it's just annoying - from getting the Spanish-language, country-specific search page every time I delete cookies to not being able to use the Android Market when abroad. Have they never heard of people doing business on the road from other countries?
Ordering the Nexus One was a nightmare - I had to go through a web proxy just to get to the damn order page, since "this product is not available in your country." Nevermind that I have a U.S. credit card and it was being shipped to a U.S. address.
I much prefer Apple's method - once they verify your credit card details as originating in a particular country, it doesn't matter where in the world you log in from - you always get the same user experience.
/end rant.

I think it's possible to get some paid apps directly from the developers' websites - pay your money and download the .apk and install that way instead of via the market I believe? Certainly no replacement for the convenience of the market, but I guess some paid apps are better than none.

M1ke said:
I think it's possible to get some paid apps directly from the developers' websites - pay your money and download the .apk and install that way instead of via the market I believe? Certainly no replacement for the convenience of the market, but I guess some paid apps are better than none.

Most developers have their own websites and you can buy the apps there. By the end of the year, Paypal will be an android market standard and you will have access to the paid apps in the market then.

Damn - I really have to check back here more often for replies :) The last two posts have basically answered the next couple of questions I was going to ask - in advance :) Many many thanks for that guys - I'll be back down in BA early next year - and I'll need to get my HTC Desire up and running asap - using wifi spots and a home wifi I intend to set up I will be using it (and my laptop) to do as much cheap communicating as possible with back home in Oz and well - okay - I could go on and try to justify it as the most essential business tool there is - but hey, I won't be an advertising exec when I get down to BA - I'll be back to being a teacher/lecturer - so lets just be honest and say that I think it is the coolest tech toy I have ever had - I just love it :)

Have only had it for a week now and I have downloaded and played around with a heap of the apps it has - and am starting to get to a point where I have a bit of an idea of what the Android system is about - and yep, I love it...

I like the idea of running linux on my smartphone too - but no, I won't be rooting mine - I can do enough of the 'old days' type stuff on my ubuntu laptop I'll be bringing down with me - and when I want windoze bloatware I've got my everyday laptop running 7 - so when it comes to my daily 'fix' I should be okay...

Re: open source - yep - I hear you McDaddy :)

If you haven't already, download launcher pro. It's the best skin out right now.

There is a free app in the market and a $ 2.99 paid app with more features at the developers website.

This is the free app, just use your bar code scanner.

LauncherPro1.png

Damn that is so cool :) lol - I just tried it - the barcode scanner found it instantly and now I am downloading it :) I LOVE the new HTC Desire - it really is the best piece of technology I have ever owned - but I can't wait for my extended life 3200Mah battery to arrive - the standard 1400Mah battery really doesn't cut the mustard - the way I use it gets chewed up in hours :) lol

You are quite welcome.

If you like custom skins you might want to try the ADW Launcher too. although its not as refined as the launcher pro app, it does allow for more elaborate customization.

btw. hey admins, are you retarded ? you can't ban or censor the internet.

Johnno said:
Damn that is so cool :) lol - I just tried it - the barcode scanner found it instantly and now I am downloading it :) I LOVE the new HTC Desire - it really is the best piece of technology I have ever owned - but I can't wait for my extended life 3200Mah battery to arrive - the standard 1400Mah battery really doesn't cut the mustard - the way I use it gets chewed up in hours :) lol

Perhaps of interest to those reading this thread - since my Nexus One got stolen, I no longer have need for the A/C adapter. Free to whomever wants to come get it.

I'll be down in Feb and I'm thinking that will work with my HTC desire ?:)

Johnno said:
I'll be down in Feb and I'm thinking that will work with my HTC desire ?:)

Don't know if they have the same connector, you'd have to research that.
But if I still have it when you arrive, it's yours. :)

Back