real nyc pizza

kikedeolivos said:

So now, the million dollar question: what's so special about NYC pizza cheese? Is it mozarella? What kind of cheese is it?

Thank you.
I think that it comes down to the experience mostly, not so much the cheese. The idea that you can walk into a Rays or any pizza place, buy a $2.50+ slice and be able to fold it and eat it standing up. The cheese is pretty much processed mozz., as is the sauce. :rolleyes:

NYKate said:
The idea that you can walk into a Rays or any pizza place, buy a $2.50+ slice and be able to fold it and eat it standing up.
Ray's?!?! RAY'S?!?!

I MUCH prefer this place I found in Brooklyn to Ray's...

n567077537_519879_5810.jpg

And I also have to say that the cheese is more cooked. That makes a difference... but that's been discussed many times.

Ray's... pphhhhhfffff... who eats at Ray's?

arty said:
It's not the cheese, it's the water (waddah) that is used for the dough.

Places in the USA have tried to make NYC pizza in other location using the same stuff, but if you don't have the same water, you won't have the same flavor.

Some people do use NYC water, shows you just how much people like their pizza

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York-style_pizza

"waddah"? Don't worry, not all NY'ers have that accent. It's true about the water though. We have a very high amounts of fluoride in it and it actually tastes better than bottled water - to me at least!
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/feb/25/nation/na-tapwater25

Napoleon said:
Ray's?!?! RAY'S?!?!

I MUCH prefer this place I found in Brooklyn to Ray's...

n567077537_519879_5810.jpg

And I also have to say that the cheese is more cooked. That makes a difference... but that's been discussed many times.

Ray's... pphhhhhfffff... who eats are Ray's?

Are you talking about Grimaldis? It's VERY touristy. Ray's is everywhere around the city. Personally, I go to my own mom and pop pizza place around the corner.

arty said:
It's not the cheese, it's the water (waddah) that is used for the dough.

Places in the USA have tried to make NYC pizza in other location using the same stuff, but if you don't have the same water, you won't have the same flavor.

Some people do use NYC water, shows you just how much people like their pizza

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York-style_pizza

I've read the linked articles and, IMHO, it's just perception, nothing more; I'm not that picky. I have much more important things to complain / worry about.

Thanks

NYKate said:
Are you talking about Grimaldis? It's VERY touristy. Ray's is everywhere around the city. Personally, I go to my own mom and pop pizza place around the corner.
I was just setting up my photo that I took in December/January 2007/8. It's a funny one. I can't tell one NYC Pizzeria from another. They all have huge slices for low prices. It's were you learn to fold the slice, tilt your head, and start loading it in.

kikedeolivos said:
I've read the linked articles and, IMHO, it's just perception, nothing more; I'm not that picky. I have much more important things to complain / worry about.

Thanks

I'm glad you have better things to complain about, but it's fact not perception about water. Different places get their water from all over. Some of the best tap water I have ever had was in South Lake Tahoe, and some of the worst was reclaimed water in Los Angeles. Some people use fluoridated water, some use well water, I'm sure others use rain water. All water has different minerals in it. This is not perception, this is reality. :D

Americans like their pizza the same way Argentinians like their beef.

The water really does make the difference. Same with pasta -- actually I wonder if that's why pasta here is so thick and heavy compared to what my idea of pasta is... Also the yeast makes a difference, if the yeast is fresh, if it's humid when you're cooking, if it's dry, what your altitude is will change cook times etc...

The flour makes a difference but making a proper dough really is a bit of science and a bit of art and your yeast and water will change the outcome.

arty said:
Well done with loads of salt? :confused:

I don't think so.

arty said:
I'm glad you have better things to complain about, but it's fact not perception about water. Different places get their water from all over. Some of the best tap water I have ever had was in South Lake Tahoe, and some of the worst was reclaimed water in Los Angeles. Some people use fluoridated water, some use well water, I'm sure others use rain water. All water has different minerals in it. This is not perception, this is reality. :D

actually LA's water has been rated amongst the top in the US. Santa Barbara has poor water

Back