real nyc pizza

arty said:
I found these plans to make a smoker but it's close to impossible to know where to find this stuff... might make a good scavanger hunt!
http://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

as for the wood, you can always soak it in something and make it worth burning....

hmmm all this items can be found easily here, except maybe for the wood chips, but I bet it is doable too.

nikad said:
hmmm all this items can be found easily here, except maybe for the wood chips, but I bet it is doable too.

easily? what do you consider easy?? i can only imagine how many stores i would need to hit to find these parts! its not like you can roll into a sears or home depot around here and get all the stuff at one time....

and a metal garbage can? i have no idea they made those here. I just see people toss their trash onto the side walk every night.

arty said:
easily? what do you consider easy?? i can only imagine how many stores i would need to hit to find these parts! its not like you can roll into a sears or home depot around here and get all the stuff at one time....

and a metal garbage can? i have no idea they made those here. I just see people toss their trash onto the side walk every night.
I would start at the EASY (connected to the JUMBO) next to the Mosque on Bullrich in Palermo and then go from there. Everything might be obtainable there, but I don't know for sure.

It is easier & cheaper than me bringing on oversized box (US$150 extra) that weighs 48lbs (really cutting it close, especially if you put extra stuff in the box) through customs (bribe vs empuestos).

arty said:

As far as I know Sears does not operate in Argentina. I find your reply pretty rude, and I am sorry if you are unable to shop in real life and expect to find everything on Google. Have you ever heard of the word " replacements " ? From now on I will refrain to answer to any of your comments.

If you wander just a bit farther afield than all the party bars in Palermo Soho, there are tons of small shops that build custom parilla equipment, and I doubt it would be difficult to have a custom smoker built for not much money.

Being an industrial type of guy, I suppose I might notice these types of workshops more than most, but if you go South of Cordoba and West of Scalabrini Ortiz, you come across lots of small metalworking shops that have a couple of sample BBQ's out on the sidewalk.

Ries: Those are the same kind of shops I've seen out here around Pilar as well. And they do have some decent-looking semi-smokers set out, although I haven't stopped yet and checked them out up close.

Truth is, the parilla is fine most of the time. I've been trying to gather some skills in its use anyway, so it's not like I'm without good meat at home. Just every once in awhile I miss my smoker...

nikad said:
As far as I know Sears does not operate in Argentina. I find your reply pretty rude, and I am sorry if you are unable to shop in real life and expect to find everything on Google. Have you ever heard of the word " replacements " ? From now on I will refrain to answer to any of your comments.

lighten up francis.. i was making a joke since there isn't a sears or home depot here. I have gone shopping here and I am used to going to at least 3 stores to buy my food. i was being tongue in cheek. i don't expect to find anything on google and after having to hunt to 8 different computer stores to find a specific cable, only to take it home and have it not work i now use mercado libre.

the Argentinians that I have met here that have been to the USA have all mentioned how much more convenient shopping there is and how they wish there was a target here... something I took for granted until I moved here.

but please, don't comment on any of my posts, i sure as shit won't lose any sleep over it.

Back