Real Whole Wheat Flour

I would second that opinion - integral seems pretty close to the same thing, or no? I was pretty disappointed with cocoa here, but eventually I just got used to it. Seems the processing is not the same as what we're used to, but I'm not entirely convinced that's always a bad thing. It seems like the milling is not as fine, and maybe the separation of materials not as pure, but is a little extra fiber really going to kill us?

I've found much better quality cocoa at the casa de reposterias... The stuff from barrio chino is icky comparatively, seems full of sugar. But if you go to a good casa de reposteria you can get lovely rich stuff... Used it for the most delicious chocolate cake for my sons birthday last year... Yum

New Garden and La Esquina sell 2 grinds of whole-wheat flour: gruesa and fina (or superfina.) Maybe the superfina is closer to the texture you're used to? Either way, I've never had problems with either whole-wheat or whole-grain rye flours from NG... they both yielded results similar to the breads I used to make with Bob's Red Mill flours back in the US.

Awesome, I'm going to check out New Garden and hope it does the trick.

I can't put my finger on what the problem is with the integral here ... if it's the bleaching or because it isn't stone ground ... but there is a difference. My whole wheat tortillas and pancakes have been a major fail with integral but with white flour success ... bummer.

I saw black rice at Casa China the other day, $30 for 100gram ... was so distracted that I forgot to look for glutinous rice ... I'm craving Thai sticky rice!

Can someone educate me? I thought integral WAS real whole wheat unprocessed. Wrong?

I saw black rice at Casa China the other day, $30 for 100gram ...

Times have changed, haven't they?
According to ancient Chinese legend, black rice was so rare, tasty, and nutritious that only the emperors were allowed to eat it.​

Can someone educate me? I thought integral WAS real whole wheat unprocessed. Wrong?

I think by "processing," the OP just meant the milling process. "Integral" definitely refers to whole-grain, unbleached flour.

It is definitely to do with the milling. Bread flour is coarser milled in other countries. If you are looking for a more robust flour you could try adding wheat bran /salvado de trigo.

btw - not sure if this is relevant to the "why" the integral flour here is unacceptable, but I have made whole wheat bread here a few times with my mother-in-law. At her suggestion I made a couple modifications to the recipe I was using:

*added a bit more oil (or butter, but oil is healthier I think)
*increased the ratio of white-flour to integral

This did seem to help with the problem I had at first, of the bread coming out too dense and too dry.

Back