Reasons to be Cheerful- Food in BsAs

I enjoyed the empanadas, pizza, beef there. The problem was for me I could not eat the same things basically seven days a week. The problem with the food there was lack of variety. About 95% of the restaurants have a menu of of beef, pasta, and pizza. You can do better in the high end eateries, but on the whole the typical Argentine diet is tiresome and unappetizing, especially after you have been there for a year to two.

Those that are recent arrivals who enjoy the food should write back after a year or so. I doubt many will be quite as complementary as they are today.

Hay TangoBob,
I live across the street from 1810 and have never heard of The Bochin Club. Where is it and what is it? Thanks, Tom

In truth, I did tire a bit of the same choices (empanadas, pizza, pasta and carne) all the time - but what they do offer, they do it really well. My biggest and probably only real complaint around food was the lack of spices used. It was funny to me one time when eating at a Thai restaurant with a friend, the dish they referred to as spicy and which was typically quite spicy at my favorite places in the states - was not at all spicy in comparison (and I do not have a super high tolerance for spicy foods to begin with either!) I figured they toned down the heat for the local demand. But again, even after a year there, I was very pleased with the meat choices and quality - as well as the variety of empanadas out there & pizza...mas o menos. And the fresh pastas were also a real treat as well as the fresh breads available daily, fond memories! Another excellent restaurant was a Tenedor Libre in Caballito, Cle, it's very close to the Rio de Janiero subte stop on Rivadavia. (For the newcomers, Tenedor Libre indicates you pay one price that includes all you can eat - but no comparison to similar places in the states - they are not buffets - but cooked to order dishes, and at this particular one, it included Japanese cuisine as well as Argentine. They vary in terms of what they offer and prices are typically higher on weekends. Another big plus for me was that people in Argentina are so relaxed about kids at restaurants - some even have small play areas where kids can go when they are finished eating, allowing parents to dine at an enjoyable pace.

This post makes me want to hop on a plane now! Unimaginable how anyone would not enjoy the food in BA. Will pass this along to a friend who's visiting soon. Thanks!

Stan, does anything make you happy?

TomAtAlki said:
Hay TangoBob,
I live across the street from 1810 and have never heard of The Bochin Club. Where is it and what is it? Thanks, Tom

It is a Sports club at Julien Alverez 2355. You can eat inside or out and they have a fantastic menue. After you have stuffed yourself you can work it off with a game of (Ithink) pelota.

jb5 said:
This post makes me want to hop on a plane now! Unimaginable how anyone would not enjoy the food in BA. Will pass this along to a friend who's visiting soon. Thanks!

Stan, does anything make you happy?

Yes before living in Argentina I lived in Italy and Peru. I found the food in those places excellent.

Stanexpat said:
I enjoyed the empanadas, pizza, beef there. The problem was for me I could not eat the same things basically seven days a week. The problem with the food there was lack of variety. About 95% of the restaurants have a menu of of beef, pasta, and pizza. You can do better in the high end eateries, but on the whole the typical Argentine diet is tiresome and unappetizing, especially after you have been there for a year to two.

Those that are recent arrivals who enjoy the food should write back after a year or so. I doubt many will be quite as complementary as they are today.

I've been here almost three years. I eat well here, but I also know how to cook. I rarely eat in restaurants, even when I am in Paris and San Francisco. The selection in grocery stores in BA is not as great as in the USA or France, but can I find almost everything I need here to create the dishes I desire. I do shop for some seasonings when I travel.

steveinbsas said:
I've been here almost three years. I eat well here, but I also know how to cook. I rarely eat in restaurants, even when I am in Paris and San Francisco. The selection in grocery stores in BA is not as great as in the USA or France, but can I find almost everything I need here to create the dishes I desire. I do shop for some seasonings when I travel.
Yes and according to DA you can even get norwegian Jarlsberg at Jumbo. So there is no need to do without.

nikad said:
Not anybody gets in [the restaurant at the Club Alemán] ;) U gotta be a member
Ah, ha. Well, it pays to have Argentine cousins; though how people of basically English descent get into a German club, I don't know!

Back