Reasons to be sad

majortungsten

Registered
I was having an early dinner with my Argentine girlfriend tonight and we were discussing my imminent departure from Argentina to the yearned-for shores of the UK in a little over fourteen weeks.

The discussion included a tinge of sadness for the obvious reason (although, secretly, I am harbouring grand feelings of optimism for returning back to a nice slice of civilisation).

I also mentioned, however, that I was sad because I would be leaving behind a group of dear Argentine friends who had to stay here and deal with the fact that the economy will very soon fall apart. Again. I was sad because I have a choice to leave the country and get away from it all. These poor people are left with no other option than to ride the waves, pray for a positive outcome and (from what I am led to believe) hope that they do not lose too much money this time around.

But to make things worse, my girlfriend simply shrugged her shoulders and said: "We are used to it. We will go through it, and we will carry on with our lives."
And this is the saddest point of all, I think.
Have the Argentine people really become so numb to the truth that they are being robbed, cheated and lied to by their government? Are they really so "used to it" that they will just allow this to happen? Or are they powerless? A people that have overthrown presidents in the past.

I am sad for the people I leave behind. I am sad for their future. I am sad that in this marvelous country, history seems to have a habit of repeating itself.
Ultimately, though selfishly, I am glad I am getting out.

We've been there and got thrown under the bus time and again. Last time it got really ugly for us. Patience and tolerance has gotten us too far.
Maybe the time will come when the politicos are the ones under the wheels. Maybe they need a lesson where they're the ones in pain and suffering.

I'm afraid the forthcoming showdown will not go down peacefully. It's evident that these dangerous clowns are turning up stones looking for an extra dime, they know no boundaries. One can only endure so much.

We'll find out soon enough.

Hope there will be an educated and civilized country when my kids grow up. Slim chance, if you ask me.

Oftentimes the government is a reflection of the people. :p It's an elected government, afterall. That's not to say that people who do the right thing don't get caught up in the mess, or that political figures don't deceive and manipulate, but in the end one gets what they voted for.

I don't feel bad for Argentines in that regard. They are vivos and look to scam the system as much as the system scams them. Honesty isn't a prized virtue. You know how many people don't pay tolls? Not poor people, but people with nice cars who can obviously pay. How many work in negro? How many cheat? (Whether it's in soccer or paying taxes...) How many throw their garbage everywhere turning their own street into a dump? And as for the economic situation, how many are living on credit beyond their means, or pay late, or don't pay at all? I had never heard of having two due dates for bills before coming here. :)

I like the Argentine people well enough and hope things remain relatively stable (the last thing it needs is another dictatorship), but I've seen enough to get an idea of why the country is in the shape it's in. While I'd like to place all the blame on the evil government, there's a lack of responsibility on the part of the Argentine people to do the right thing as well. The sad thing is, many know better, but short term self-interested thinking prevails. :rolleyes:

That is a really good point, eclair.

I often complain to people who will listen that people here need to take responsibility, but I usually reserve it for people that I work with, TBA and the government as a whole (particularly the finger-wagging, evil queen of numbers).

I guess the good folk (and there certainly is a good number of them) are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

And really? TWO due dates on bills?? That I have never come across.
Thank you for the input.

majortungsten said:
I was having an early dinner with my Argentine girlfriend tonight and we were discussing my imminent departure from Argentina to the yearned-for shores of the UK in a little over fourteen weeks.

The discussion included a tinge of sadness for the obvious reason (although, secretly, I am harbouring grand feelings of optimism for returning back to a nice slice of civilisation).

I also mentioned, however, that I was sad because I would be leaving behind a group of dear Argentine friends who had to stay here and deal with the fact that the economy will very soon fall apart. Again. I was sad because I have a choice to leave the country and get away from it all. These poor people are left with no other option than to ride the waves, pray for a positive outcome and (from what I am led to believe) hope that they do not lose too much money this time around.

But to make things worse, my girlfriend simply shrugged her shoulders and said: "We are used to it. We will go through it, and we will carry on with our lives."
And this is the saddest point of all, I think.
Have the Argentine people really become so numb to the truth that they are being robbed, cheated and lied to by their government? Are they really so "used to it" that they will just allow this to happen? Or are they powerless? A people that have overthrown presidents in the past.

I am sad for the people I leave behind. I am sad for their future. I am sad that in this marvelous country, history seems to have a habit of repeating itself.
Ultimately, though selfishly, I am glad I am getting out.

I had a similar conversation with my friends tonight..........The sad truth is coming.....and it sucks for them.

You can't screw everyone, all the time and hope that the national gang-bang will continue ,as is and forever. The people screw the government, the government screws the people and everyone runs around screwing each other. Eventually there's nothing left but land. And Chile is just waiting in wings.

interestingly, I am in Miami right now and had dinner with Argentine friends last night who live here a long time but return to visit BA about twice a year. We all drank malbec and expressed similar sadnesses. I guess the malaise is running up and down the hemisphere:(

ghost said:
Eventually there's nothing left but land. And Chile is just waiting in wings.

The Chilean Air Force purchased 10 F/16 "Block 50's" and a bunch of F/16 model A's and B's from the Netherlands. For those not familiar with combat aircraft the Block 50 is a serious piece of hardward. Conversely, I have Argentine pilot friends who can't get replacement parts for their 30-year old A/4 AR Skyhawks. This is essentially an upgraded version of the same aircraft I flew in the US Navy as a student in the Training Command before I went to the fleet.

I don't know if any country has it's sights on Argentina, but I feel for my Argie pilot buds who would need to fly against much more sophisticated weaponry.

I'm familiar with the image of the monkey tree. The monkeys at the top look down and only see smiling (grinning) monkeys looking upwards. The ones at the lower levels only see a$$holes above them.

The local imagery uses the chicken shack sticks. The bigger hens sit up top and constantly $hit on the rest's heads. Everyone does so at their turn and the $hit keeps rainning down.
Frustration goes a long way and speads generously.
Most people only aim to get to a higher level and be able to take a dump on more victims instead of changing the system.

Back