Recently Married with Visa Questions... Please Help!

Smcali23

Registered
Hiya -

I've got a bit of a unique situation as compared to other posts so I was looking for some advice from the legally-minded brains on this forum.

I just got married to my girlfriend of 11 years (she's Argentine, I'm from the UK) and after so long together here unmarried I spent a lot of time going back and forth to immigration/Colonia etc.

When we got married a week and a half ago I had already had my 'ultima prerroga' visa stamp, left the country for a bit and came back in on another 90 days visa to get married.

We got married within the 90 days (just) and she's just gone off to Europe for work, while I'm planning on meeting her there soon.

Now the issue I have is that I am planning to go to Europe without having completed my papers here and, as I was married I wasn't at all worried about my 90 days since having passed... until I read a couple of the posts on here about people getting issues at the border even being married!

Well, I'm just wondering what the best course of action is?

My questions are:

1. Can I leave the country with my just libreto as proof that I am married and expect no issues or do I have to go and get the official wedding certificate before leaving or even do something else?

2. Do I need to pay a fine to leave the country?

3. Is there any issue due to the fact that I did not begin my legal paperwork before the final 90 days ran out, or is it (as I thought) ok to begin it later as I am already married?

Thanks in advance for all or any advice you can offer.

Sean

I don´t know about the fee, but being already married you shouldn´t have any problems whatsoever. Take your marriage papers with you and show them at Migraciones. Getting started with residency paper stuff takes time and you have to get papers from abroad, etc they will not ask you much about it, especially since you got married not too long ago.

Smcali23 said:
1. Can I leave the country with my just libreto as proof that I am married and expect no issues or do I have to go and get the official wedding certificate before leaving or even do something else?

The libreta de matrimonio is enough. However, it is up to the migration inspector. If he`s having a bad day he might disturb you. However it can be solved with an habeas corpus.

Smcali23 said:
2. Do I need to pay a fine to leave the country?

Probably yes.

Smcali23 said:
3. Is there any issue due to the fact that I did not begin my legal paperwork before the final 90 days ran out, or is it (as I thought) ok to begin it later as I am already married?

Well, for migration inspectors and immigration law you are deportable. This makes no sense but they have very little understanding of the legal system.

So, my legal advice is that you should start the procedure before you leave. You have 2 options:

1) Precaria residency, you have to renewal every year for 3 years before you can apply for permanent residency. You need your birth certificate, criminal record, adress certificate, argentinian criminal record, marriage certificate. All the foreign paper with the Hague Apostille.
If there is any big issu between Argentina and the UK, you might become an enemy and you assets confiscated.

2) Citizenship, you only need your passport, certified xerox of your wife DNI, your marriage libreta or certificate, address certificate from police. If you have more papers better, but you don`t need them. I can be denied if you don`t have a legal way of living. If your wife pays for your expenditures that`s enough. If you work in negro it is ok too.
You are Argentinian in Argentina and British in the UK.
You are elegible the day after you married.
The procedure takes about 3 months. Once the procedure begings the immigration law is not enforzable any more to you.

Regards

Thanks for the help and advice from all of you. I think I will check out the whole citizenship process as well, and give some first hand info on what happened there - it seems like an interesting option, Bajo_cero2! Thanks also for sorting confirming there's no real difference between the libreta and certificate.

And thanks for posting that link French_Jurist, it is informative. That was the post that actually brought up a couple of the questions I asked before, as I think my case is a little different, given my current status/ultima prerroga etc.

One quick question for Bajo_cero2 (without meaning to be annoying!) - how do I certify the xerox of my wife's DNI? Is it possible if she has it with her in Europe?

Back