reciprocity fee - must pay online

I seriously doubt a $160 entry fee is going to have any impact on tourism whatsoever. Be reasonable.

Greg2231 said:
I am sorry you dont see the logic,

I didnt see the logic because, it is the US government which are incurring the costs, as you say, the US Congress passed a bill. They didnt have to pass a bill, it was their decision. It wasnt the travellers decision, the cost of an immigration is for the benefit of the goverment, to control immigration, not for the benefit of the traveller.

So if the US Government has decided to charge for Visas to subsidise thier immigration department it is no different to Argentina charging a fee to subsidise their immigration department. Argentina does have an immigration department, it has desks at the airport which check passports. I dont immagine the fees received from tourists cover the whole cost of the immigration department. (just a guess).

hillbilly said:
I seriously doubt a $160 entry fee is going to have any impact on tourism whatsoever. Be reasonable.

Actually it used to be $140, so I seriously doubt a US$20 increase will have any impact whatsoever on tourism.

hillbilly said:

I don't think anyone said the entry fee would impact tourism. It's been in place for quite some time. My point was that it is one of MANY factors that serve to make Argentina a less than attractive destination for tourists from NA (US/Canada). For an average stay for 2 ppl, you're looking at probably 5000 USD for a 1 week vacation (flights +/- $2500 US for 2, $320 in entrance fees, $1000 for spending money for a week, $1000 for a hotel for a week (mid-range).

Anyway, as I stated earlier, I don't think anyone is really bitching about an entrance fee. It's SOP in many countries. My concern again is with this change - who is going to be responsible for communicating this and what are the methods of implementing it? It's a big change and a lot of people are going to be SOL if it's not handled appropriately.

Actually, citygirl, several people have said that the fee will create a further "obstacle to tourism", which I think is an unreasonable statement. Go ahead and read the thread again from the beginning. My comment wasn't directed specifically to you and I'm sorry that you took it that way.

However, I will answer directly to you on this point:

citygirl said:
My only issue/concern is whether this new rule will be appropriately communicated. I know when they instituted the "visa" fee - it wasn't announced very well at all. I used to fly back/forth from here to the US on the regular and every flight people were shocked about it for the first year.

So now it will be required to be paid before hand. But who is going to inform tourists of that? Or where will that information be announced (b/c announced in an Argentine paper isn't exactly reaching the necessary audience)

In that it is the sole responsibility of the traveller to assure that they have the proper visa/documentation before travelling. Visa and entry requirements generally appear in the fine print when booking a ticket. An airline would never deny you boarding if the information wasn't fully available at booking. I imagine a lot of people just don't bother to read it. The consulates also have this kind of information. You should always check with the consulate on the current entry requirements before travelling to ANY country, as they can, and do, change at any time. Not informing yourself is not an excuse.

I agree - assuming the Argentine gov't does a good job of communicating the changes to the appropriate countries/airlines so they can appropriately update their information. I hope they do so.

It's the airlines who check the most current requirements and keep themselves updated because they can be fined for sending people to a country without the proper documentation.

citygirl said:
I agree - assuming the Argentine gov't does a good job of communicating the changes to the appropriate countries/airlines so they can appropriately update their information. I hope they do so.

I spend time on two travel sites-- Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic. There are numerous complaints on these sites and several posters who have changed destinations due to hassles. To your point re communication.....the EZE airport site correctly mentions the current entry/reciprocity fee of usd 160. The Argentina consulate in Washington incorrectly states the fee is USD 140. Several cruise lines fail to mention the fee at all, to the chagrin of passengers arriving by air in advance of their cruise. There is, in short, confusion and conflicting information.

To the earlier point re the impact of the fee on tourism....tourism is down for a host f reasons-- a dramatic increase in he cost of airfare to arrive in Argentina, the exorbitant amounts charged for domestic airfares, rapid inflation which makes many North American cities seem like bargains, the rise in crime in BA, and the current regulatory environment creating obstacles to currency exhanges (eg, rcent reports that airport banks will no longer exchange pesos back to dollars for tourists)....and several other reasons. Vacation travel is supposed to reduce stress not increase it.

Very good point Germano
Most countries charge a fee for visa on arrival or prior. It isnt the end of the world, its call reciprocity fee. If you come from a country charging Arg to visit then you are likely to be charged to enter Arg. If you dont produce evidence of said paid fee, the airline won't let you board. No more tears please.
Ecuador doesnt charge foreigners to visit yet most countries used to charge Ecuadorians. Kind of unfair uh? Yet for the past couple of years there is a huge expat influx...and those same expats are opening the way for Ecuadorians. Look like just like in a personal level, Gov kindness towards other nationals open doors...

Back