Reclaiming IVA on leaving the country

booms

Registered
Hi,

I keep being told by Argentinians that I'm able to reclaim my IVA costs when I leave the country if I've filled out lots of forms and kept my receipts.

It seems hard to believe so does anyone have any tips on this? I've not spent too much money except on my Airbnb - is it possible to reclaim IVA on that? Does this work in practice?

Hi,

I keep being told by Argentinians that I'm able to reclaim my IVA costs when I leave the country if I've filled out lots of forms and kept my receipts.

It seems hard to believe so does anyone have any tips on this? I've not spent too much money except on my Airbnb - is it possible to reclaim IVA on that? Does this work in practice?
no you cannot claim tax back on just anything, certainly not airbnb. the global blue tax refund program exists in many countries but iva can be claimed back only at participating stores and you must fill in a form during the purchase validated by the merchant. it's good if you plan a shopping spree to buy clothes shoes or jewelry...

P.S. You can claim a refund on the iva or just not pay it at local hotels when you use a foreign credit card and show your passport but then you'd be paying at official rate so not a good deal.

P.S. You can claim a refund on the iva or just not pay it at local hotels when you use a foreign credit card and show your passport but then you'd be paying at official rate so not a good deal.
The way around that particular problem is to use the foreign CC to reserve your accommodation, show your foreign passport and entry stamp on arrival, and settle the bill in pesos.

Returning iva is for tangible things you take with you out of the country.

On the hotel side you dont have to pay it if you have a tourism stamp in your passport.

Returning iva is for tangible things you take with you out of the country.

On the hotel side you dont have to pay it if you have a tourism stamp in your passport.
Argentina no longer places stamps in passports.

Argentina no longer places stamps in passports.
That's a good point, I wonder how the hotel IVA exemption for tourists is going to work now. Hotels definitely used to check the stamp, photocopy the passport and stamp page, and there was a time limit on how long you could be in-country since your last entry (3 or 6 months, it's a while since I've done that).

Guess all the tourists are screwed then.
nah you can get you "stamp" proof online, they even sent me an email with the "stamp" automatically after my last entry/ not sure if this applies to citizens/residents or tourists too in case they take the email from the DDJJ.

Back