Recommend Some Fiction (In Spanish, Argentine Writer)

An incredible book that had me reading in bed at 3 or 4 in the morning, made me forget about my dentist appointment and made me miss subte stops....

Wonderfully written, and you get a great feel for the city, its many different neighborhoods and its many different social classes. Plus the plot is incredible, and more and more things are revealed until the very last page when everything comes together.

I think it's a great and easy read even for a non-native Spanish speakers (like myself) with a reasonable command of the language.

Sold, Am off to pick up a copy. Will let you know how I get on.

I recommend El túnel de Ernesto Sábato and El vuelo de la reina de Tomás Eloy Martínez (They aren´t the local version of Ulysses)

Almost anything by the great Manuel Puig. Particularly good are the following four titles:

LA TRAICION DE RITA HAYWORTH (BETRAYED BY RITA HAYWORTH)
THE BUENOS AIRES AFFAIR
EL BESO DE LA MUJER ARANA (KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN)
BOQUITAS PINTADAS (HEARTBREAK TANGO)

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Sold, Am off to pick up a copy. Will let you know how I get on.[/background]

You will love it! it's a whole other Buenos Aires experience!

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I recommend [/background]El túnel [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]de Ernesto Sábato and [/background]El vuelo de la reina[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] de Tomás Eloy Martínez (They aren´t the local version of [/background]Ulysses)[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background]

I, too, just read El Vuelo de la Reina. Wonderful book. I had considered recommending it in this thread but then decided against it because it is so terribly devastating. I was depressed and disturbed for weeks. But, yes, I would actually recommend it, too, if the reader (especially the female reader) has the stomach.

I too recommend Manuel Puig. But his best work is, imo, "Cae la noche tropical" his last novel. Easy to reed, entretaining and good literature too.

Shocked at the prices of paperbacks here! $165 pesos!! I used to read several books a week in UK but that would be impossible here, it would cost me $2000 a month! And if you calculate it in terms of wages, someone would have to work for 5 or 6 hours to afford a paperback. Disgraceful.

It's not a book but I read LaNacion in spanish on line every day to help my castellano..and it shows reality here can be stranger than fiction. Plus it's free.

Back