Recommendation For Short-Term Apartment Rental

JeffR

Registered
Looking for a one-bedroom apartment end of January through beginning of March when I return to Buenos Aires to research my resident visa options. Prefer Palermo neighborhoods or Las Cañitas and am familiar with Airbnb and 4RentArgentina.

Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for local sites or sources?

Thanks in advance, and also a big thank you to everyone posting on this site. I’ve followed it for some time and have gathered some valuable insights.

Jeff

Hi Jeff. After being through this process recently I have found these were the best resources.

I found my place in the Facebook group. Try and filter by Owner/Direct Owner etc. If you deal with an agency they will want 10-20% commission (usually the higher end) depending on how long your contract is. And you may find that their are multiple agencies advertities the same property! Ask what the price is per month, does it include gas, water, internet etc and more importantly electricity. For most places electricity will be a separate monthly cost for what you use with maybe a cap amount, e.g. ARS$1500. I used Google Translate to translate the listings (as I don't speak Spanish yet) or I viewed the pages in Google Chrome which can translate the entire page for a relatively seamless browsing experience.

Good luck!

I would recomend you to change your dates.
January is complicated. If anybody has available furnished flat in January - they will rent it out to tourists for high summer season.

Also nobody is never interested to rent for such term(3 months). You are either a toursit who pays A LOT or you are looking for alquiler permanento, this is quite cheap. Then you would probably go for permanent contract and then just pay ' a punishment' fee for moving out earlier.

Do some research on airbnb. I find most hosts are eager to rent their places out for longer terms and off airbnb's books.

Also this. When I was searching on Facebook I had people drop their prices quite a bit. E.g "I normally rent my apartment for USD$600 but you can have it for USD$500". I did not reply. "I really want to go on holiday so I suppose I could do USD$450".

For 1-2 months I would just do an AirBnB or something similar. Yes, you'll pay slightly more. But dealing with local agencies and owners directly can be a major pain in the ass, especially if you don't know the lay of the land. It may be worth it to go the local route if you're staying long-term, but not in the short-term. Besides, prices really are in the renter's favor in the moment. As a previous poster mentioned, many owners are now willing to negotiate.

Just my 2 cents!

Do some research on airbnb. I find most hosts are eager to rent their places out for longer terms and off airbnb's books.

I agree. Usually what I do is I do a normal Air BNB reservation and check the place out for a few days/week, afterward, if I like the place I casually mention that I plan to stay in BsAs longer and am looking for a longer-term accommodation and if they know of anything.... Many times, they come back to me with a reasonable longer term deal. You’d be surprised to what extent some people would go to avoid being “on the books” with Air BNB, and if you offer to pay them in dollars even better.

Hi All,

Thanks again for all of the great advice! When I travel I also work, so while price is important, to me so is the environment of the place. I will definitely check out these suggestions.

Back