Recommendation needed for Bus Company to Cordoba

lucha54

Registered
I want to travel Cama Suite (for the first time, yipee!!!) to Cordoba overnight. There are many bus companies that offer Suite level for the same price. Any first hand experience? One you liked or one that seemed below par for that class of service? The options for the bus companies are:

General Urquiza
El Practico
Chevallier
Plus Extra
Mercobus

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!!

Why not try the train? It runs from Retiro a few times a week. There are sleepers with two berths or you can sit up in the "Pullman". There is also a restaurant car. The train is not bad.

I think the train takes something like 16+ hours... also I heard it's old and funky and really should be reserved just for people who REALLY like to travel by train. Plus I am feeling a little funny taking trains in Argentina considering the events of the past few months (not saying the likelihood of any safety risks are less likely than a bus journey...)

Went to Cordoba (city) a year ago, took the bus. I chose the comfortable reclining seats, did not considered it necessary to fork for a bed type accomodation.

Trip was short/long enough. Suggest you bring liquids and a snack or two. Good reading or a media player will also keep you company.

No way I would consider a train. Value my life. This has nothing to do with the past accidents and tragedies but everything to do with train transportation over the last decade.

Iznogud said:
No way I would consider a train. Value my life. This has nothing to do with the past accidents and tragedies but everything to do with train transportation over the last decade.
Yah like the busses dont have accidents, and kill people just about every week, so best to sit in the front seats right above the driver those always seem to do good in a accident, quick death is painless so they say.

I have ridden the train four times to Cordoba but the last time was a few years ago. The company that runs the train, at least then, was reputable and the train was clean and comfortable. I haven't heard of any serious accidents. On all of my trips I traveled in a private room sleeper which had a wash basin and running water, toilet articles were provided. There were two full length comfortable beds. The crew were all young and friendly. Food was not great but edible. The Pullman was very acceptable and much cheaper. Yes, the train takes longer due to track conditions that require slow speeds but the journey was an adventure with a lot of mobility that you don't get on a bus and the comfort of a real bed. Could have used a bit less heat but that is a problem in a lot of places in Argentina. As for safety on buses, there are a LOT of bus accidents so I'd say the train is safer all things considered.

Thanks everyone! Can anyone recommend one of the bus companies I listed in the original post?

Have been on heaps of cama buses in Argentina, most the experiences have been positive. Chevallier is generally really good, I also like Flecha and Andesmar.

Even better than a cama, if there is a "cama ejecutivo" that is the way to go! Are you going up there for the beer festival by any chance?

I always go through General Urquiza. it's very good, goes normally on time, and units are generally clean.

Servicio Cama is very good, and not that more expensive...it's definitely worth it.

Semicama is good too, not that comfortable, but doable anyway... I've traveled enough in semicama though, and got the taste of Cama, es un vicio.

BTW, probably all the companies are good. It's often the same service, and prizes too. Heard EL Practico is good...

Have a nice journey.

Back