Recommendations getting Iphone unlocked?

dani28

Registered
I have 2 Iphones that I currently want to get unlocked, 1 of them for use in Buenos Aires immediately the other I might sell. 1 of them is the Iphone 4 from AT&T (USA) and the other an Iphone 3G from Movistar Spain (which is not compatible with Movistar Latin America and still needs to be unlocked)
I have only come across one place in B.A on Av Santa Fe that does this thus far, and they really wanted an arm and a leg. More for the Iphone 4, as supposedly it's more complicated from what they explained due to software. I really have no idea about anything tech related, but i do know that in Spain, the chinese shops unlock mobiles for about 50 euros and do it quite well.
Does anybody know of a place or are there any techies here that are in the know and can do this for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance

dani28 said:
Does anybody know of a place or are there any techies here that are in the know and can do this for a reasonable price?

There is an expat that goes by the name of Macdaddy that should be able to help you out.

My husband and I both had are Iphone 'liberated' for 250 P each. It works great, BUT keep in mind that the process will wipe out anything you have saved on your phone (contacts, any photos, any music) so you may want to make a backup of that first. The place is located on Santa Fe and just past 9 de Julio - Galeria Rustica, Av. Santa Fe 1126, Loc. 21. The place is called Cell-Phone. Hope this helps.

Contact "MacDaddy" he is trusted and can do it for a very reasonable price.
[email protected]
However – only certain models of the iPhone 4 can be unlocked at the present time. Find out what modem firmware you’re on.
To find this out, go to the Settings app, then General > About, scroll to the bottom, and you’ll find it there.
If it's 03.10.01 (there are a couple more that can't be unlock) You're outta luck.

I do indeed offer iPhone unlocking service as part of my Mac business.

Note that current versions of the iPhone 4 cannot be software unlocked at this time - by me, or by anybody else. It depends what modem firmware version is on the phone - contact me for details.
Beware of hucksters - either local, or online - many will claim they can unlock the iPhone 4, but they'll just take your money and not do anything.

I keep close tabs on the hackers who write the tools that the rest of the world uses. They've been promising an iPhone 4 unlock for some time now, but this firmware is proving difficult to crack. There's no guarantee when we'll see an unlock become available - it could be next week, next month, or next year.

Note that we're talking about unlocking here - as opposed to jailbreaking.
Jailbreaking allows non Apple-approved apps on it, such as themes and tweaks; while unlocking allows use on carriers other than the one you bought it from. For example, to allow an AT&T-locked phone to be used on the networks in BA – Movistar, Claro, etc.
Current iPhone 4's can be jailbroken, but cannot be unlocked.

Earlier models of the iPhone (3GS, 3G, or original) are no problem to unlock.

I can't believe the prices local shops are charging for the unlock. My rate is about half of theirs, plus I offer free pick-up and delivery, and can turn around most jobs within 24 hours.

Cheers,

Josh Johnson
the MacDaddy
[email protected]
(15) 3948-3398

Unlocking doesn't always require wiping the phone - it depends which software is used.
But backing up (by syncing the iPhone with iTunes) is always a good idea.

Isolak said:
My husband and I both had are Iphone 'liberated'.. It works great, BUT keep in mind that the process will wipe out anything you have saved on your phone (contacts, any photos, any music) so you may want to make a backup of that first.

eschal said:
According this guy and a few other you can unclock an Iphone4 http://buenosaires.es.craigslist.org/ele/2438763281.html

OK, for everyone's edification: software unlocking is the most elegant solution - everything continues to work on the phone, you gain functionality and don't lose any, you can reboot the phone all you like, etc. Note, however, that you do have to be careful not to allow iTunes to update your iOS software, since those updates usually break the unlock. Updating apps is no problem.

Hardware unlocking such as the Gevey chip seen in the CL ad above, the TurboSIM, etc are a bit dodgy. They consist of a thin chip which gets inserted alongside your existing SIM card. This chip interrupts the carrier check, and allows you to place calls on foreign networks. Unfortunately, they're rife with bugs. Phone calls usually work, but data does not. Rebooting the phone is problematic. But if it's your only option, then try it out and let us know - I haven't personally used one in a couple of years.

Then there is carrier unlocking - all carriers (cell phone companies) have the ability to unlock a phone by adding your IMEI (basically, your serial number) to their database. In fact
Movistar says that they will do this for you if you sign a contract with them (which of course you need a DNI for), but everyone I've talked to who's tried to get it done gets met with blank stares and stonewalling. It's probably the gap between company policy and what their employees are actually trained to do (or feel like doing).

Back in April, some online sites started offering to add your IMEI to the carrier database (for an extremely hefty fee). Apparently someone on the inside had gained access, and was trying to turn a profit from it. These sites withdrew their offers within a matter of weeks - I'm assuming that the rogue employee got busted, and the hole was plugged. Even if this service were still around, there is the danger of your phone getting remotely blocked again, since it was never unlocked at the phone itself, only on the carrier end. Again, the software unlock is the best solution.

If you're looking to buy a new iPhone 4, Apple just started selling unlocked ones in the States. They're US$650 (ouch), but that's still cheaper than what the carriers here are selling them for. And they're factory unlocked, meaning that you can use them on any carrier around the world and never have to worry about all the crap I discussed above like the rest of us poor saps do..

Back