Recommendations on Moving Companies (LA -> BA)?

alexedelstein

Registered
Hi, I'm moving from LA to BA and looking for recommendations on a moving company to use. Just moving small 1 bedroom apartment. No car or appliances.

Thank you

Hi, I'm moving from LA to BA and looking for recommendations on a moving company to use. Just moving small 1 bedroom apartment.

Click on the signature below any post by Nikad. She provides a link to a moving company she recommends and she has been a member of the forum since 2006..

PS: Just want to be sure you know you must have temporary residency (at the least) before your stuff arrives to avoid import duties. . If you only have a "tourist visa" Argentine customs (aka Aduana) will hit you up for substantial import fees. If you are still waiting to be granted temporary residency they will charge storage fees until you have it. This happened to an expat in the past couple years and (in a rather short time) the storage fees exceeded the value of his stuff. He did not use a customs broker and the moving company he used did not inform him of the consequences of not having Argentine residency.

Last edited:
Dinamo Mudanzas Internacionales y Logistica - the absolute best company to use, incredible professionalism, care and honesty

Click on the signature below any post by Nikad. She provides a link to a moving company she recommends and she has been a member of the forum since 2006..

PS: Just want to be sure you know you must have temporary residency (at the least) before your stuff arrives to avoid import duties. . If you only have a "tourist visa" Argentine customs (aka Aduana) will hit you up for substantial import fees. If you are still waiting to be granted temporary residency they will charge storage fees until you have it. This happened to an expat in the past couple years and (in a rather short time) the storage fees exceeded the value of his stuff. He did not use a customs broker and the moving company he used did not inform him of the consequences of not having Argentine residency.

Thanks for the advice

I've moved four times internationally over the years, but it was always at the expense of the companies I worked for and I don't think I ever had a clue what the costs were. Out of pure curiosity, has anyone had experience moving a modest household (clothes, dishes, small amount of furniture and the like, no car) and can you say what it - more or less - cost? Say for example enough to furnish a 150 square meter apartment sans sofas and heavy tables.

Don't obsess, I'm not planning on moving goods, so won't be making life plans based on what you say. I've always just wondered. USA -> Argentina or EU - Argentina.

I've moved four times internationally over the years, but it was always at the expense of the companies I worked for and I don't think I ever had a clue what the costs were. Out of pure curiosity, has anyone had experience moving a modest household (clothes, dishes, small amount of furniture and the like, no car) and can you say what it - more or less - cost? Say for example enough to furnish a 150 square meter apartment sans sofas and heavy tables.

Don't obsess, I'm not planning on moving goods, so won't be making life plans based on what you say. I've always just wondered. USA -> Argentina or EU - Argentina.

International moving starts at about 5000usd. This is why when you don't have a lot of things, it is best to just carry as excess luggage on a plane, or just buy everything new. I have always heard a friend who runs an international moving company give this ballpark figure. I am not sure whether that includes insurance or storage, etc,

For a small 1 bedroom apartment I don't think it's worth the hassles and costs of moving stuff down there. Did you buy an apartment in Buenos Aires? If so, although quality isn't as good down there, I'd just start fresh and get it there. As others mentioned, customs can be a hassle and not cheap. Unless your company is paying all expenses, you're not in a hurry and you MUST have your own stuff, I'd just buy down there.

International moving starts at about 5000usd. This is why when you don't have a lot of things, it is best to just carry as excess luggage on a plane, or just buy everything new. I have always heard a friend who runs an international moving company give this ballpark figure. I am not sure whether that includes insurance or storage, etc,

Starts at $5k? That sounds really high. For a 1 bedroom apartment with no large appliances or a car?

I'm planning a move in early 2020 and while I don't plan on bringing any big furniture, just personal items, clothing, some kitchen items, etc. I was budgeting about $2k.

I like the idea of starting fresh and bringing nothing, but I have things that are irreplaceable such as family memorabilia/pictures and antiques that must come with me.

Last edited:
Back