Recycling/green movement

LaurenW

Registered
I've been here for about 2 months now and I still don't understand how recycling works here. In my building, we have separate containers for recycling but I hardly ever see recycling receptacles on the streets and often at parties or previas see portenos throwing glass bottles in the trash. Do the things I recycle in my building actually get put into a recycling infrastructure set up by the government?

Also what is with the recycling of beer bottles (bringing them back to grocery stores) and not other types of bottles? I have observed this but do not understand the point/what is done with the bottles.

Do the cartoneros get money for the recyclable items they find? Who pays them?

Are there any groups working to increase awareness of the importance of recycling and composting? What has the government done, if anything?

Thanks so much to anyone that has any insights.

-Lauren

The recycling infrastructure set up by the government BARELY exists. Most likely the recyclables from your building get put on the curb with the rest of the trash. The benefit only being that it is presorted for the carteneros (poor native americans who collect recyclables to sell to recycling plants).

The beer bottles are refilled by the beer manufactures. When you buy the beer, you pay a deposit for the bottle; upon returning it, you get it back. It's the same as buying milk in glass bottles in the US.

As far as recycling awareness groups, I wish. The reality is that environmentalism is a social activism luxury. When people aren't afraid of being robbed all the time, have jobs, etc, then they will start working for a greener planet.

I just wonder what the heck to do with the "green" (aka "energy saving") light bulbs that (in the US) come with a hazmat warning regarding breakage and disposal.

Everyone I've asked around here has told me to simply throw them in with the rest of the trash.

If they are really as dangerous as we've been told, that's not something I want to do.

Suggestions?

PS: They don't seem to last nearly as long as "claimed" on the packaging.

steveinbsas said:
I just wonder what the heck to do with the "green" (aka "energy saving") light bulbs that (in the US) come with a hazmat warning regarding breakage and disposal.

Everyone I've asked around here has told me to simply throw them in with the rest of the trash.

If they are really as dangerous as we've been told, that's not something I want to do.

Suggestions?

PS: They don't seem to last nearly as long as "claimed" on the packaging.

Depends, somewhat expectedly i've found that the 12 peso generic compact florecents here last 1 10th of the time of the 40 peso brand name (philipps, ge) CF bulbs.

I feel bad every time we put bottles, cans and plastics all in the same refuse bag.
But we have no choice.
The half life of some of these items is frightening.

My building doesn't have any sort of recycling bins. Is there a common way that people do their own sorting to aid the carteneros and increase the portion of recyclable items they take? What will they take - clearly cardboard, but what else?

With all my respect, you don t get it. Cartoneros open your bags looking for whatever might be recyclable and they sell it. plastic and glass Bottles, paper, food, etc. Regards

considering how expensive plastic is and is about to become, I wouldn't worry about any of it being wasted!

as for everything else we live in a much too complex society, I'm sure mild recycling will not do it.

still curious about how dangerous those energy saving bulbs are..

Back