Refund Of Taxes?

funnyk

Registered
Hello
We are from Moldova and my husband is working in Argentinian company here. In about 2-3 months we will move to USA and he will work in a branch of this company. We wanted to ask if someone knows if it is possible and what is the procedure to get taxes back which he payed whole year from salary ? The thing is that we will move out of the country and will not come back, so we think that it is obvious that we should get back taxes we payed for retirement for example.
Thanks

Sounds reasonable enough...

[empty silence...]

BWAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
Good one!!!

No, but seriously I know nothing about this, but I know Argentina a little bit now, and I'm just guessing you can kiss your tax money goodbye. Good luck and hopefully you'll get a more constructive and definitive answer soon.

Funnyk, find an accountant in BA who should be able to give you a definitive answer.

Gringoboy - hi , i am her husband. The thing is that i asked accountant in my company about that and she has no idea about that and how this can be done... And seems that we will need to deal with that by ourselves, that's why we ask maybe someone has experience in that ?

if you know nothing, why do you write here?
What I really meant was I can't give you a definitive answer. I have struggled indirectly watched my wife struggle with the tax system here being self employed, gained my residency, etc.. Let's call it an educated guess based on the climate, the bureaucracy, and general common sense about taxes. I highly doubt you'll get anything back and if you do, you will probably have earned it in the time spent doing so.

I for one doubt you can get it back. Some good advice: consult with at least about 20 different accountants. No one seems to ever no anything because it's never publicly posted anywhere.

I for one doubt you can get it back. Some good advice: consult with at least about 20 different accountants. No one seems to ever no anything because it's never publicly posted anywhere.
And if you do find something posted it will be wrong, outdated or no one in authority will be aware of it. I have known many people who have come for work [such as teachers at BAICA or Lincoln] I have never ever heard of anyone getting a tax refund.

There's a difference between taxes and retirement contributions. Income taxes you're probably not going to get back, and if you did, you'd immediately have to hand them over to the USofA. You need to find out if there is a tax agreement between the USA and Argentina -- someone on the board should know this and I know there have been NUMEROUS threads about US taxes. However your income tax is gone, you were resident here, so forget about it.

Pension and retirement benefits are separate. If you move to a country that has an agreement with Argentina, ie Spain, you can transfer these to that country. You don't get them back in your pocket, you just transfer them into the correlating program in that country. I know Spain has a programme with Argentina for doing this (my brother-in-law moved there and was able to take his pension/retirement contributions to their programme). I quite seriously doubt the USA has this, but again, you can find out. You need to find an accountant well versed in tax and pension funds -- and international funds. You will probably be best off contacting one of the big int'l accountancy firms -- ie Price Waterhouse Cooper, Deloitte, Ernst & Young who all have divisions here and in the USA and are probably more aware of what paperwork you will need. This could be quite expensive.

Most countries don't just give you back your income taxes when you leave. At the most if you're giving up residency you can get back your pension and retirement contributions. Being from Moldova you are I'm sure used to crazy government bureacracy. Trying to get your taxes back from Argentina is going to be an invite for the AFIP to examine all of your financials for the time you were here. You're going to have to go through his salary receipts and decide if this really is worth it. Also, there is absolutely no transparency from the government as to what is going on with the pension contributions, so what you see deducted from your salary receipt and what actually exists in the mythical account that the government supposedly has reserved just for you will not correlate whatsoever.

Back